Dallas' Mile High TL-550

dallasg

Reaction score
So the time has come to start a new thread and yet another tank.

I think i have 10 plus threads here on tanks i have started :) but now with time getting less, i figured a automated nano should help the addiction, until i build my big tank in my new man-cave renovations.

The goal is to automate as much of everything as possible and use all my previous equipment from my various tanks i have shut down, and by using Orca Bio-cubes it doesn't get easier and cheaper.

Using my R.E.E.F Methodology this should be easy to achieve.

This will be a SPS only nano using a Boyu TL-550 tank i am going to mod. I have removed the internal filters and drilled a 32mm hold for an overflow to a small 400x400x300 sump which will house a Reef Octo TS1 and Orca Biocubes and Reef Xtrax. In the tank i will have about 10kg of LR and 9kg of aragonite.

For flow there will be 2 x MP40's which i am sure will run on 10% power, lighting will be 1 x Radion Gen 1, still thinking about using a second since i have it, these i will control with the ReefLink.

I have Reef Angel that will control heating, cooling, auto top-up, return pump.

For additives i have a 3 channel dosing pump i will use for Alk, Ca and Bacteria, with a bi-monthly manual Mg top up based on tests.

The pics will follow over the course of the next week, while off work i will be getting this done and moving from my current tank.

Livestock selection, well SPS and clams only, with inverts, and from a fish point of view my school of banggai's, clown goby, bi-color blenny, Tiger pistol shrimp and 2 blue spot gobies.

Here i will keep the current FTS

Last edited:

dallasg

Reaction score
nope i am using the Aquaria Bacteria, been working awesome for me

dallasg

Reaction score
they ship :)

dallasg

Reaction score

dallasg

Reaction score
Update 1.

I have drilled the tank, made an overflow from black perspex and attached to the tank.
The sump is a 400x300x300 tank i had, i have used a reeftek NWB-110 skimmer rated for 500L
I had a Reef Octopus Nano zeovit filter which i have modded to hold orca bio-cubes, and then a simple 300w heater.
I have kept this as simple as possible.

I am still contemplating adding my Reef Angel and Quad doser but that i will sleep on.

Here are the pics
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg

dallasg

Reaction score
Lol soon, this nano is for SPS, want me a Aquaria 3M setup :)

thats from my reefing box of goodies

RiaanP

Reaction score
take a blade and cut away, peel off that last bit of black plastic at the sides of the tank. From the side tank would look much bigger. Cut the corner straight down first to get a straight cut. So that the plastic does not come off the back of the tank. It does come off easily.

Here is another heavily modified TL550.
http://marineaquariumsa.com/threads/gandalf-tl550.54628/page-2
Check from page 2 onward, the black plastic is removed and tank looks just that much bigger.

dallasg

Reaction score
well as they say, plans change...
i picked up a good deal on the weekend so this nano will change from SPS to LPS, Softies and Banghaii's, the new tank will be SPS with my YT.

New thread to start soon for that tank :p

as for the nano, i added 5kg of seeded LR from my current tank, i am letting it "cycle" while i build the light rack for the radion.
I just have to add the ATU and by this weekend i will add some softies.