Dallas' 4ft Underwater Haven

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am going to put a powerhead in the first chamber for the algae scrubber, so hopefully that will move things around, and going to put LR in the second chamber where the flow is good. when i designed the sump i solved that one.

i am going to rethink the return this week, but luckily there are no bubbles

okay, i just want to say thanks to everyone, a real bunch of great guys and girls, and very friendly....thanks for all the help/comments.

okay i have done the following to my sump.
1st chamber - powerhead for algae scubbers
2nd chamber - mechanical filter
2.5 chamber - live rock, about 5-8kgs
3rd chamber - dsb 14cm deep
4th chamber - return chamber

does this sound ok?

my goal for this tank is an anemone or 2 with a clown in each, but until then, 6-12months when tank is stable, i was think of the few fish i want to put in.

what is a nice schooling fish, damsels?
will they clash when i add clowns later on, and my other prize fish is a clown trigger
any suggestions?

tank has been running for 24hrs so i did an initial test to see how things are going

Temp 25deg
pH = 8.4
Alk is between 1.7 - 2.4 according to red sea kit
ammonia is 0.25ppm,toxic ammonia is 0.035 according to kit formula.

didnt test the others as i know its new and things will be going up

also waiting for my algae scrubber, mega nitrate and phosphate remover, to get some algae.

i have 2 450mm t8's, jebo super light and jebo red light for my sump which i will run at night.

let me know if i am missing something other than my skimmer

noticed 10 little anemone/soft coral things on my live rock this morning, in only 24 hrs
i did the dance of joy this morning...:slayer:

ps. do they need food or anything?

noticed 10 little anemone/soft coral things on my live rock this morning, in only 24 hrs
i did the dance of joy this morning...:slayer:

ps. do they need food or anything?

Your critters will feed off the live rock for now, so you don't need to feed them.
Can you post some pics of the anmones and soft coral polyps ?

:)

will do this eve when i get home

tank has been running for 24hrs so i did an initial test to see how things are going

Temp 25deg
pH = 8.4
Alk is between 1.7 - 2.4 according to red sea kit
ammonia is 0.25ppm,toxic ammonia is 0.035 according to kit formula.

You have an odd alkalinity reading. Appears to be very low. What scale is the Red sea kit using to determine KH ?
IMO , if you have used RO & Synthetic salt mix, I would have expected your alkalinity to be in the order of 8 dKH ( German scale of degrees KH)

its wierd, wont by red sea kits again.

the alk chart had 3 sections, low 0- 1.6, normal for 1.7 - 2.4, high 2.5+
will check the scale etc this eve....

what is a good make to get?

cool, i will use this red sea for the first cycling period, and then get a good one when i am going to add stock

me too...
a quick Q i have 235ltr DT and 150lt sump, ex rock and subsrate, now if i add more LR i loose water, is this a biggie, i have added 20kg LR, getting more from MikeBushie tonight, and would like ato add another 10kgs, is this ok? more LR the better?

Dallas,

A guideline for LR is to use 0.5 kg per gallon of water ( or 100g per liter). This takes into account the water volume "lost" due to the displacement of the rock and is based on medium density rock.

So for your setup you should probably aim for at least 35 kg's of LR

Your LR investment IMO is vitally important as it is your most viable biological filtration aid.

i will have about 35kgs, where can one get bio-rock? is it less dense? wont it become LR

thanks

i will have about 35kgs, where can one get bio-rock? is it less dense? wont it become LR

Bio rock will eventually become LR. The density of bio rock is slightly less than normal LR, depending on where you buy.

Maybe some of the other members that have used Bio rock can comment a bit more on this. (Check out Goodisor's setup . He is using Bio rock)

Check out some of the sponsor's pages for bio rock.
I haven't bought any so I'm not sure if there is a supplier close to your area.
:)

cool, will do, i live in your area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom