Cyno Cyno Cyno

Reaction score
Hi Hennie. I know this is something that was posted somewhere before- maybe I am too lazy to read every thread- but I seem to have a continious problem with Cyno in my setup.

I had Cyno in my previous tank -from start to finish- with a lot of flow inside the tank. Now I have this bigger tank with even bigger flow -because of the Cyno- and still have a lot of Cyno. I cannot increase the flow anymore as my Softies does not like it. I already have some that does not want to stay open because of too much flow.

So I am running in circles here.:( Lights are on for about 12 hours a day and all my water parameters, including phosphate levels test good....

Any help here????

By the way, I do not have a lot of fish, thus only feeding once a day. Have the Starfish that helps clean the substrate and I make sure that I do not overfeed. I also have like a zillion critters operating in the tank after dark

Sean, i was once told lots of flow don't mean good flow, maybe relocate a powerhead to run lower, across the substrate, to shift the cyano.
You say that your P04 is ok, but in a tank as big as yours you could have a fair bit to burn off, it is a very young tank, so the available P04 is being used by the cyano rather than showing up on your tests.

P.s - sorry for butting in Hennie:blushing:

Hi Sean,

Lights are on for about 12 hours a day and all my water parameters, including phosphate levels test good

Can you please be more specific - also, please give as much info as possible on tank setup, filtration, age of tank, bio-load (not just fish but also larger inverts, water change routine, age and type of lights... anything that will give the rest of us a better "feel" for the tank. You're welcome to also post a photo or two, if that would help.

Hennie

Hennie, my T5's( 05 blue and 02 white) comes on at 09hoo in the morning and off at 21h00 at night

My 02 x 150w Mh comes on at 09h15 and off at 20h45

My 02 x 250w Mh comes on at 09h20 and off at 20h40

I have a fair amount of Coral (as shown in my thread)

Oldest "Globes" is about 03 months old

Mh comes from Andrew - Millipora

T5's from Sponsor on Sarks- forgot from whom- but ligit

I do a 450lt waterchange every 02 to 03 weeks- Thanks to Herkie that helps

Filtration is a 450lt(if I remember correct) Sump with Dsb as well as about 100kg of live rock

I run Carbon- about 03kg every 02nd week

I run filterfloss that my wife change every 04-05 days

Tank is running for about 02 -03 months, but the Sump is running for about 07 -08 months, maybe longer- have to go back and check.

Had no problems with cycle (very small one about a month ago) as I've used most of my existing tank's sand/rock etc. as well as the fact that sump has been running for long time with fish and coral inside to help maturing process. As a matter of interest, the same coral and fish(Rockod, Bird Wrasse, Leave Scorpion fish and a Lion Fish) are still in the sump

Oh, and I run a reverse cycle light system on the sump, and I have Chaeto, but it does not grow, it stays the same size (small ball)

Hi Sean / Hennie. I heard of some "miracle cure" called ChemiClean. I know that our LFS here in CT cbd sells it. Not sureof any of the current sponsors sell it. Wayne is about to become a sponsor in the next few weeks or so..... I will PM the contact details if you want him to send you some. I have heard (just heard) from accomplished reefkeepers that this stuff works wonders! Here's a link to the ChemiClean stuff: Chemiclean Red Slime Algae Remover

Hennie, my T5's( 05 blue and 02 white) comes on at 09hoo in the morning and off at 21h00 at night

My 02 x 150w Mh comes on at 09h15 and off at 20h45

My 02 x 250w Mh comes on at 09h20 and off at 20h40

I have a fair amount of Coral (as shown in my thread)

Oldest "Globes" is about 03 months old

Mh comes from Andrew - Millipora

T5's from Sponsor on Sarks- forgot from whom- but ligit

I do a 450lt waterchange every 02 to 03 weeks- Thanks to Herkie that helps

Filtration is a 450lt(if I remember correct) Sump with Dsb as well as about 100kg of live rock

I run Carbon- about 03kg every 02nd week

I run filterfloss that my wife change every 04-05 days

Tank is running for about 02 -03 months, but the Sump is running for about 07 -08 months, maybe longer- have to go back and check.

Had no problems with cycle (very small one about a month ago) as I've used most of my existing tank's sand/rock etc. as well as the fact that sump has been running for long time with fish and coral inside to help maturing process. As a matter of interest, the same coral and fish(Rockod, Bird Wrasse, Leave Scorpion fish and a Lion Fish) are still in the sump

Oh, and I run a reverse cycle light system on the sump, and I have Chaeto, but it does not grow, it stays the same size (small ball)

Any news yet Hennie?

Sean, Northlands pets sells the aquamedic anti red.
1) I would clean the filterfloss daily. My filterfloss gets very dirty after a day or two.
2) Do as wee-man says adjust the flow if possible.
3) Lighting cycles will not affect it. Cyano is a bacteria not an algea
4) Run Phosphate remover with the carbon. 3kg's seems a lot in 2 weeks. How are you running it ?

Run carbon in plastic container with minute holes in is, water is forced through. Just finished adjusting and moving all the pumps... Kak job...

I Had that stuff for months, tried the stuff from northlands it did help but it came back. Tried the flow thing it seemed to love the flow on the LR, and just spread faster. Ever since I added a refugium out side it has gone and my cheato loves the sun and grows like mad. It only gets about 3 hours morning sun.
So same gravel,fish,LR,coral & flow just an extra tank with 160l.

I know what you are going through.

I have read somewhere that you must get live sand from a tank that does not have Cyno.

If my understanding is correct cyano feeds on dissolved organic compounds, if so, how do we rectify it?

1. Skimming
2. Carbon
3. Inreasing your redox potential.

You are skimming well, running carbon and have strong water flow, so the only other means of increasing your redox potential to help reduce the accumalation of dissolved organic compounds would be ozone. Have you got any idea what your ORP reading is? If not I would invest in an Mv controller and probe and should ozone be required then it might just help solve the problem.

Other controls could be hermits such as Clibanarius tricolour (blue legged hermit),Blennies (Altrosalarias sp."dusky blenny"and Salarias fasciata "lawnmower blenny") and Tangs (Kole and Chevron).

I would guess Chemiclean (and Anti-Red) is some type of anti-biotic but I could be wrong. If so I would use with caution as this could stuff up other bacteria in your live rock and DSB

Guys, thank you for helping, but I do not want to the "Medicine" route. I would rather get the origin sorted and try and find out why and how I always have this problem. Like I said, I moved the pumps etc today, but sensitive corals like the "Fox Coral" etc, will then be in harms way- too much flow. Will see how all looks like tomorrow...

Sean I agree not to go the medicine route. The info I posted earlier comes from a book I read by Julian Sprung. I must say that since I got mine sorted I have never had a problem again. Just my humble imput.

I would guess Chemiclean (and Anti-Red) is some type of anti-biotic but I could be wrong. If so I would use with caution as this could stuff up other bacteria in your live rock and DSB
Hi Clinton / Sean - I can appreciate that you would not like to use medicine in a marine tank. I would just like to get someone's opinion here that actually used the ChemiClean. As I have heard rave reviews about it - AND it is not supposed to be anti-bacteria based, meaning that supposedly it would not kill of any invertebrates...
BUT, then again, lets see what the changes in the water-flow does for your tank, Sean....

Any news yet Hennie?

Sean, Sorry, but it looks like Vodacom is having the same capacity problems as Escom - my 3G is running at only 2-3 kB/second, and it's taken me about 30 minutes just to download this message - will try again tomorrow evening (too busy during the day...)

Hennie

Hey Guys! Advice from the States! (Atlanta Reef Club) I've used Chemi-clean early in my reef, just after cycling I had a serious Cyano problem. This is natural when first starting a reef. The Chemi-clean was fast and efficient in removing all cyano. My 55G reef has been up and running about a year now and I would not use Chemi-clean to treat this problem at this point because of my livestock and the maturity of my system. I still have early signs of an outbreak every now and then and found that decreasing my photoperiod has been able to keep any out breaks in check. I will post photos of my system soon in the New Member section. Glad to join you guys (and gals)

Back
Top Bottom