Cyno Bacteria

Reaction score
Okay, been battling with Cyno Bacteria every now and then on my 500L corner tank. Return pump is a 5500L/H and 3 x 7500L/H wave makers creating a circular motion in DT. Sump has little Cyno in it. Skimmer is an Aquaria rated for 800L but pimped to estimated 1000L tank capacity.

Every now and then Cyno appears and I does with Chemiclean but this is becoming costly and not treating the problem in the long run. Lights run for 4 hrs in the morning from about 6 and then again from 4:30 to 9 at night.

A lot of guys say one gets an antibiotic which is more effective, could anyone please let me know what it is.

Kind regards

Are you dosing any form of carbon (vinegar, vodka, biopellets, biocubes or nopox etc)?

I have seachem carbon in sump and BM pellet reactor. Lights start up at 6 till 10 and then again from 5 to 9, they run of led controller. Sump has Aquaria skimmer rated for 800L but pimped slightly so rekon rated at 1000L. I used nopox sometime back and started loosing corals. Did water change about a week ago with red sea pro and ro water. I dose every 4 days with aqua forest abc and following 4 days with reef builder, fuel and red sea a+b.

Does the pellet reactor outflow go directly into skimmer? I had nopox cause bad cyano in my tank, but went away a few weeks after stopping. Could be the pellets causing it if it doesn’t flow directly into skimmer inlet.

Does the pellet reactor outflow go directly into skimmer? I had nopox cause bad cyano in my tank, but went away a few weeks after stopping. Could be the pellets causing it if it doesn’t flow directly into skimmer inlet.
The reactor and skimmer are in the same chamber and outlet from reactor is virtually at the intake of skimmer.

I thinking of moving all stock and everything to my 800L which only has some LR in sump and bare bottom for now as I am in the process of building yet another tank of 2.5m x 0.85 x 0.475 with a 1.6 x 0.45 x 0.45 sump, return pump is DCS 12000, 2 x 10000L/h wave makers and 2 x SW8's. Lights will be based on 2 x DIY Orphek V3's of 234W each.

Can you build a big algae scrubber into the next tank as main nutrient export method? Really suspect the cyano is due to the carbon dosing, as they feed on the same type of food that the carbon dosing provide.

Back
Top Bottom