cycling

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dean Schreuder, 3 Jan 2012.

1. Dean Schreuder

Dean Schreuder

Hey all

Happy to be part of the forum, I have a question for u guys and girls. I have a 3ft tank and 2ft sump, the main tank has 8kg of live rock. The lights are off and I have added a dead shrimp to aid in the cycle. Should I continue running the skimmer and I was wondering should I remove the puragen , chemipure as this should affect the ammonia levels as I also have ammonia stones in the sump but my gut tells me to remove all chemicals that can influence the water parameter/bacteria.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Hi Dean,

Welcome to MASA.

Happy reefing!

4. Annoying

Annoying

The best is and what most of us do is to run the tank as natural as possible in the first six weeks (excluding skimmer). I would remove all chemicals that you are using for a few reasons:

1. You want bacteria to grow so that you can have a population for the fish waste and food addition. Removing the stuff like nitrates and ammonia in the first few weeks will give your tank a cycled appearence but all the phases didn't complete fully. Like the algae phase where the spikes will allow certain bacteria/algae to thrive and then die off untill a balance has been reached.
    2. You don't have any livestock so to run the chemicals will be a waste of money for the first 6 weeks as the biological filtration is the reason we cycle in the first place.
    3. These chemicals also influence the readings on the test kits and this will give a false idea of when the tank has finished the cycling process.

On the skimmer, this should still be running because it takes a few weeks just to get any skimmer skimming at the right tempo. Also the introduction of extra oxygen from the skimmer will help with the O2 hungry organisms. The skimmer will also remove toxic chemicals that normally would have been controlled in the ocean but due to size must be manually removed. Just my 2c:blush:

Mic likes this.
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I will remove the dead shrimp.

If you got freshly imported live rock, there should be enough dead organisms within to do the same thing the dead shrimp will do. Why overload a system when there is no system in place consume that extra dead organism.

Good quality live rock, already cycled would give you a shorter cycle period.

With the dead shrimp in there, I would run the skimmer.

More information or pictures of the sump layout would also be of lot of help. IT depends, are you filtration purely chemical? Do you have any biological filtration in place in the sump are? Other than the live rock in your display?

Last edited: 3 Jan 2012
    Mic likes this.
  6. Dean Schreuder

Dean Schreuder Thread Starter

Right...... The tank has been running with the skimmer, phosgaurd+ seagel (worked wonders) , lights off for 19 days now, tube worms on the rocks are opening up nicely have 4 small star fish wondering around the tank. So everthing looks in order.

My question now is what next, there is no algae really in the dt so adding of cleaner shrimps wont work as there is no real food source for them, should i add a chromis and feed lightly or a clownfish?
    Should i turn on the dt tanks lights.. If so for how long.

My water has nil amonia and nitrites and 10mg/l nitrates - is a 10% water change due before adding anything extra to the tank.

Nb - i have been running a halogen on my cheato in my sump sine day 7.

Lastly if diatoms and algae occur should i not disturb it and let it take its course..

7. Dean Schreuder

bump?

8. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

How long has you'r Tank been cycling...?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Marine Aquarium Cycle - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Neither as I think you'r Tank has not yet cycled...I do stand corrected as I can't find out how long you had the Tank running...

9. Dean Schreuder

Thank you that clearly shows that my tank is not just ready today is day 20 explains why i have no ammonia or nitrites..

What would u add after the water change fish or clean up crew?:thumbup:

10. Dean Schreuder

I have run the stability(seachem) cycle and my ammonia is on 0 , nitrites on 0 and nitrates on 25mg/l..

11. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Dean Schreuder likes this.
Recent Posts