Cycling

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by brendanpre, 12 Apr 2010.

1. brendanpre

brendanpre

Hi everyone

More newbie questions. What lifeforms on LR would typically survive cycling? I know there are a lot of variables like the quality of the LR, how much die off there is, how big the spikes are, etc. Also, should you still do water changes during cycling? What happens if you put more fresh LR in when the cycle has stopped? Do you get more die off and more cycling or does the bacteria in the system keep things stable(ish)? Would more life survive on the second round or not?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brendanpre

brendanpre Thread Starter

Anybody?

4. crispin

crispin

lol brendan waiting 30mins for a reply isnt really THAT long, but i'll have a crack at answering for you, i am sure others will add much more valuable stuff later.

what life forms survive is often a surprising answer. there are too many vaiables tro have a stab at what you will find in your tank, but typically you will find brislte worms, mantis shrimps, different crabs, pods, occationally the odd coral, often different algaes, some bi-valves, sponges stometella snails, micro stars etc etc. The enjoyment of cycling to be is taking the time to look for the different life forms and ID then while you are waiting for the biological aspects of the tank to work through the cycles for you. Very often the hitchhicker life forms you find while cycling will be benificial to your tank and form part of the clean up crew. occasionally some of the things in the tank are detrimental to the long running of the tank. So its always a good idea to try get a good pic and ID the things in your tank.

personally i did large water changes when i cycled, but then i battled MASSIVE die off. If you get your LR from a decent LFS or another reefer the die off isnt nearly as severe as i experienced and then you can just leave the water to cycle away, doing a water change after around 4 weeks and then again at 6 weeks, but really its up to you and the situation your tank is in.

as to adding small amounts of LR over time this will often cause mini cycles. Simply put the increased bio load from the new LR (die off) increases the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and it takes a little while for the existing bacteria to deal with it and increase their populations. As to that being a problem really relates to the amount of new lr you add opposed to the amount of already matured LR you have in the tank. If you ahve a higher p[ercentage of established LR in and just add a small amount of new LR i dont see this as being a problem, else rather add all the LR at once and cycle it all together.

does that help at all?

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

You can get crabs, mantis shrimps, worms, pods, even some corals like zoas and xenia, and then the much hated aiptaisia. It all depends on the shipping, how long the rock was out the water, etc

Some gurus recommend it, as you remove nutrients and add trace elements like iodene which will help pods and other little crustations to molt properly.

Again, it depends on whether the LR was cured or not. If not, you'll definitely get some die-off. Whether the bacteria will keep the system stable will depend on the amount of LR you add, how big the tank is and what fitration you're running, as well as how long the tank was running before that.
    If the tank matured a bit then yes, you'll have more life surviving as the water is more stable, but then again most sponges will not survive as they die when they get into contact with air.
    Hope this clears it up for you?

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

He posted his questions yesterday :p

7. crispin

crispin

well then whats up with you moderators, answer the man! ;)

8. brendanpre

brendanpre Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Every bit of info helps.

Recent Posts