Cycling time

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Pieter kruger, 25 Feb 2011.

1. Pieter kruger

Pieter kruger

hi, hope you are all doing well. as a new member I will bug the pro's a lot for advice and I really apreciate all your help. there is algea starting in the tank now and a lot of small shrimp like creatures and of coarse the brisle worms. I am doing weekly water tests and need to ask about the readings. i am doing weekly tests using the tropic marin kit. the results as follows. amonia week1 0.05, week2 0.01 and week 3 0.01. nitrite week 1 0.02, week2 0.02 and week3 0. nitrate week1 5 week2 2 and week3 2. kh week1 8 week2 9 and week3 8. phweek1 8.2, week2 8.4 and week3 8.4. the temp settled at 25.8 and is staying constant.
    skimmer size 93x87x373--640 lt/hr. should I fill the filter system with live rock in the back? will the live rock be fine with little light? there is only light comming in from the fan holes and it is in a darkish area in the house.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xereo

Xereo

Hi Pieter.

You dont need a light during the cycling period.
    Some people use lights, but that just helps algae growth.

:)

4. maxisoft

maxisoft

I agree.... leave the lights off. I was advised this way, and thought it better to have the DT looking nice and bright... then the brown and green crap started... and its still there...

:welcome6:

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

I would say even to go as far as to cover your tank and keep it dark to help prevent the growth of algae.. Thats what I did

6. Pieter kruger

Pieter kruger Thread Starter

is the water readings ok?

7. Tony

Tony

Your ammonia readings seem fine to me so I would say your tank has cycled, however, if you want to add more live rock then the whole process is going to start all over again. The algal is part of the cycle. Diatoms (not an alga) which usually colour your glass a golden and are a result of silicates in your tank. A phosphate sponge will help with this. Cyanobacteria ( a bacteria not an alga) which can be any colour from black, to green to red usually occurs on your substrate and rocks. This will subside with time and keeping the lights off will help as well as directing a powerhead in it's direction. Other algae that looks like grass on the rocks are from phosphates either in your make up water or in the live rock. A phosphate sponge or probiotics like Prodibio will help but dont add probiotics or a carbon source if you have cyanobacteria as this only fuels and feeds the cyano. HTH

8. Seabass

Seabass

Nice one.

9. Tremayn

Tremayn

Thought I had red hair algae growing so I covered the tank.. Lol now it looks more like a plant as it has little leaves.. weird

Last edited: 27 Feb 2011
  10. Tony

Tony

Sounds like red dictyota. Google it and see if it looks the same

Recent Posts