Cycling questions

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Alias, 31 Mar 2011.

1. Alias

Alias

So I know this topic has been answered a million times but I have been reading conflicting threads.

I will be waiting the full 6 weeks before the first fish goes in and min of 4 weeks before a CUC member goes in depending if the water is right.

My questions are the following:

1) I used NSW and cured LR to start the tank. My skimmer is pulling nothing out the water which, from what i have read, is about right because the bio load is very low. Should i put in a from shrimp (the consumable kind) to start a cycle? or will my current path be ok?

2) Should i be dosing anything?

3) what water testing kit could i use to test all the params i need to? dont want to buy a cr@p cheap one but i also dont need the most expensive one that makes coffee too.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brendanpre

brendanpre

When my tanks cycled things started off VERY slowly, at one point I wondered if I was exceptionally lucky and only had a mini cycle.Keep an eye on your parameters and you should see that when start to happen they happen quick. Once the cycle starts you seem to get more die off happening from the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates and it sort of becomes a chain reaction for awhile till it stabilizes and starts to improve. I didn't add any shrimps or additives and against advice I had my lights on for +-12hrs a day! I used live sea sand that went from the beach to the bottom of my tank in about 20mins!
    I think this helped by adding some bacteria right in the beginning.
    I never had issues with cyano or algae during the cycle but at times I did have bad diatom blooms.
    I also did +- 50 % water changes every 2 weeks. This was purely because I didn't want to lose some of the hitchhikers that came with the live rock (brittle stars, a tiny urchin,etc).
    Whatever you do don't buy cheap crappy test kits like Red Sea(they lie badly!!!) rather spend your money on decent kits, like Salifert, I bought Red Sea in the beginning and TBH it was a waste of money!

4. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

During the cycle no waterchanges should be performaned.. Wait untill your

Amonnia = 0
    Nitrite = 0
    Nitrate = 0-10

Then you can start with weekly waterchanges and slowly introduce cuc

5. Jeann1

Jeann1

Its way off topic , but somehwere i read about someone who said every time the word cycling comes up - he thinks of this tank on a bicyle.. Now i cant get the dam image out of my head!!!

To your question - you started the right way. Running the 6-8 weeks is always good. everyone says 6-8 weeks for saftey, but every tank is different. It could even take 3 months... Best way is to look at you test kits. I agree with buying the best kit you can afford, usually being Salifert kits...

Adding a ammonia source (like the frozen shrimp) is something people do to help the cycle start, its one of the easy ways to do so - their are loads of alternatives to the shrimp, like prodibio, stability, stop ammonia, special blend and the list goes on and on... Best thing to do is keep it natural, do some reading on the different products to help start your cycle, they all aim at building a bacteria population. Everyone has there own preferences on this, though the goal is the same - start to grow the bacteria needed in a aquaruim.

Wait it out and once the test say "yay" - the fun starts.

6. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

looks like i better get a test kit sometime. So if i put this dead shrimp in do i leave it in till its fully decomposed? or is there a time period?

How long do test kits last in terms of number of uses?

7. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

Dont do the shrimp thing.. Rather get a bottle of Brightwells microbakter or Seachem Stability and dose according to directions.

8. Jeann1

Jeann1

You dont have to do the frozen shrimp thing, like I said its not the only way, maybe read up on how to start a marine tank, theirs loads of info here on MASA..

Read up on all the different products , and see what you can get hold of.. Seachem Stability is a good product, so is Microbelift SpecialBlend and so on.. evry person has there own opinion on which one to use. Speak to some of the members that have had tanks running for years, ask them for advice, they usualy have ver sound/tested and proven ways of doing this.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2011
  9. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

ive seen the product Seachem Stability pop up a lot on all these threads. maybe thats a good place to start? Any idea what it goes for in a LFS?

Thanks for all the input.

Recent Posts