Cycling is for newbies!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mandarinman, 21 Sep 2013.

1. mandarinman

mandarinman

These days there are so many technical advances a huge cycle and only adding sps after a year etc seems outdated. It seems that we used to add fish first. Now we add corals first and adjust our husbandry practices to bust the cycle process. I think cycle should be replaced by. STABILIZE SYSTEM OR BACTERIFY SYSTEM.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jclaas

jclaas

@mandarinman

Interesting thread bud :). Will you mind sharing with us how one can go about setting up a new system these days?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Blade

Blade

Taging:thumbup:

5. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

interesting .. I've seen products that class that one can add fish and corals after day 7. by I wonder if that would also work if we are using uncured live rock.

6. mandarinman

mandarinman Thread Starter

I can tell you what I did in my system so far. I am watching to see how system reacts wether good or bad.

7. STC-1000

STC-1000 In Reefers Rehab

Its rather simple what @mandarinman is saying.... PRODIBIO,STABILTY etc etc etc is avail for a while, and with these "instant bacteria" additives,it makes the cycling period almost vanish... U add your bacteria to a tank with even new lr and sand,once cycle starts,bacteria shortens it and u even get STOP AMMO to reduce ammonia spikes and before you know it withing less than a week, ur tank is populated with a decent bacteria colony... All you do after is use bacteria during maintanance and Wc ,u add more after every addition of new fish etc .... Really cool and efficient...

But take note, I would not advise for newbies,more for the advanced reefer... Simply because the Cycle is a good learning experience for newbies and also alows time taken to be used for planning etc .....

8. STC-1000

I like this thread... Over time ,equip,additives,methods have evolved on a huge scale and I think its time we embrace it rather than stickn to 'old school' methods .....:p

9. mornewil

mornewil Morne

Interesting thread. Sure to cause alot of debates. Tagging

10. Clowning

Clowning

Interesting thread.... in marines nothing is set in stone. What works for one might not work for the other. Yes there is a lot of bacteria products but not much is known to the newbies as we want them to go through the motions... so my advice is ask as many questions as possible then you decide what you want to do and stick with it... if you do not succeed then try again:thumbup: in my own experience anything is possible I stocked my tank in a week as a newbie:tt2:

11. mandarinman

Good points

12. pkc

pkc

There has been a load of crap around for some time mate; from the late seventies when my brother started marines, we always added invertebrates first.
    Its not just bacterium’s that is a matured marine aquarium, protists run a great deal of it; they are the maturity of marine aquariums bio system.

Once they start the full on grazing upon the aerobic bacteria forms and the bacteriophages get into it as well, it all changes, that’s when you look at the tank and say, now that’s going well!

Maturity is when your varied bacteria is stable and the symbiotic protists uptake cyano for photosynthesis, then others uptake some forms of bacteria that are the original oxidisers during cycling with in the nitrogen cycle and use them with in to keep a lot of the nitrogen cycles oxidation processes going, now you have a matured marine aquarium!

A naturally established system can be fully functional in 10 days if you take some of another reefers protist saturated media to do a start with!
    Always works, never fails!!!

13. STC-1000

Some good cut an paste facts there mate :p ..... This thread is more about personal experiences and despite what u mentiond above,be it important or not .... I have followed the bacteria route on all my tanks in the past 5yrs without fail so that's what we are trying to get accross ........

We are also fully aware of the proper cycle process and why its done and what's needed etc ect ect .... Hence stating that we would not recommend it for newbies, rather take the time and learn like we all did when we 1st started out

Last edited: 21 Sep 2013
  14. Snoek

Snoek

I never cycled my tank. I stocked within 7 days from nothing to what it looks like today. I have used loads of Special Blend (2 gallons 7.6L) in the last 7 weeks. The tank never had a spike of any parameters. I have to agree with Mandarinman that I do believe that it could be done without a cycle. One would be required to use mature Live Rock in my opinion.

15. mandarinman

I put one piece of liverock containing livestock the rest was bleached and soaked in fresh water for two weeks

16. mandarinman

But I must add that I used my old dsb that had been lying in a bucket for three months. I didnt rinse it

17. mandarinman

We are talking about cycling or not cycling.

18. pkc

pkc

That’s what this means, if you don’t already have any.
    You take some of another reefers protist saturated media to do a start with.
    Media meaning grit, live rock,bio balls,etc,etc.

An aquarium will go through a cycle no matter what; it can be near untracable, right up to full on.
    It’s up to each reefer which way they want to go, but if you intend on having a huge load from the start, then that’s why I do it the way I do.

19. mandarinman

Protists being bacteria consuming organisms including corals?

20. mandarinman

I am talking about breaking the cycle. Cycling is letting bacteria naturally develop to correct levels.

21. mandarinman

It is interesting that our tanks contain one tenth of the bacteria the sea contains . Should we not be continually dosing bacteria to elevate levels?

Recent Posts