Cycling For Almost 3 Weeks

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Marjolein, 18 Jun 2009.

1. Marjolein

Marjolein

Hi
    My Tank Is Cycling For Almost 3 Weeks( On Sunday). One Of My Friends Wanted To Flush One Of His Fishes Down The Toilet Because He Wanted To Buy A New Fish And There Wasnt Space In His Small Tank For 1 More Fish. So I Said I Will Take The Fish, Maybe He Will Servive. He Is In My Thank For 2 Week Now And He Is Still Doing Ok. This Fish Is So Strong. Can I Add Shrimps Now Or Must I Wait? Ill Try To Get Pics Tonight And Post Them Tommorow.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Manic

Manic Moderator

Please wait. If you can try give that fish to someone with an established system in the mean time. It's cruel to let the fish sufffer. If you add stuff now they might survive but imo it will overload the system causing lots of algae and problems later on. Just read up about how some people battle algae for months and years. Its not something you really want to deal with, it just gets really irratating and you wont enjoy keeping marines anymore.

As for shrimps: They are harder to keep than fish. They are way more sensitive to change in parameters. Just wait, it'll be more rewarding in the long run if you take your time now.

What fish is it?

You cant flush a fish down a toilet, that actually makes me really angry.

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

That friend of yours deserves to have his nuts put in a vice and squeezed for wanting to flush a fish down the toilet.

5. Marjolein

Marjolein Thread Starter

Well I dint flush the fish in the toilet!!! It is a cardinal fish! I thought it will be beter off in my tank, then in the toilet.

6. Manic

Manic Moderator

Also the fish might survive now because your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate parameters haven't peaked yet, but when they do peak it might die.

7. Manic

Manic Moderator

I've heard that fish is pretty hardy. Although it is also aggresive, so now that it is in your tank alone it will establish the whole tank as its territory. So now when you are ready to add another fish (like a clown fish) the new fish is just gonna get attacked and possibly killed. So now you are limited in the fish you can get.

8. Prodigy

Prodigy

I think having a fish early in your systems does the tank good....
    Once your tank has gotten rid of all the waste there is no more food for the bacteria in your rocks to live on...with a fish in there will be waste from feeding and the fish doing his thing...this gives the bacteria something to eat... therefore bacteria doesnt die...

9. Prodigy

Prodigy

What type of cardinal???
    You could just rake cardinal out and into the sump for awhile to let new comer to establish himself...

10. Manic

Manic Moderator

I agree it would help the cycle, as it supplies the bacteria with something to eat. The problem is if there is too much poo and food in the system, the bacteria wont be able to handle the bio-load. So now the algae goes mad with all the nutrients in the water. Once you got a bad algae outbreak so early on, it'll be hard to get rid of. So instead of waiting at least 6 weeks you now have to battle algae for months just because you were impatient. Just my opinion. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby, only bad things happen quickly. Patience is key.

11. Manic

Manic Moderator

Its a boyu TL550 so no space in the sump.

12. Prodigy

Prodigy

Very true its also just my opinion....but if your skimmer is working well there shouldnt be any problems...but i understand where you are coming from...;)

13. Prodigy

Prodigy

OK then maybe pass the cardinal on to a mate or ask the local fish shop to keep it for you or keep it in a quarintine tank...

14. Manic

Manic Moderator

Also the skimmer in a boyu TL550 if you can even call it that. I've got that tank and that skimmer just takes up space. Doesn't work at all.

15. Prodigy

Prodigy

I know what you talking about my mate has a boyu and he has problems with his sump as well... think he gonna get rid of it actually and build his own tank...:)

16. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

rather safe than sorry no use in wasting cash on fish that die, make sure your tank has settles algae and all before you stock it

17. Manic

Manic Moderator

I'm gonna get a bigger tank at the end of the year and then pipe my boyu into that tank, then I can keep a mantis or sea horses in my nano. Maybe I can also remove those compartments in the back so the tank space will be bigger.

18. Prodigy

Prodigy

He has the fish already was givien to him so no money wasted...
    Sounds good!!!!
    Good luck:thumbup:

19. crispin

crispin

marjolein, taking that fish is indeed better than your friend flushing it down the loo, but its still NOT good for the fish. Its not fair on it.

think of me putting you in a garage with a running car and an open window. perhaps the wind will suck some of the fumes out and you will survive the pollution untill the car runs out of fuel, perhaps the pollution gets to you. Either way I'm not being very nice

to a large degree thats what you are putting that fish through. I dont agree with the idea that the bacteria need fish waste to help the cycle period, thats not the case at all. there is alot of die off and the tank needs to establish equilibrium, untill then you dont want fish.

out of intrest i started cycling my nano in february. Im starting to think of the fish i can stock in it now. And even then i dont want to be hasty and get a fish I might not want. Damsels and Cardinals would fall into that category for me. So you really need to plan what fish you get and how u keep them. Its far better to take things slow.

on the topic of your friend, im with Viper on what should happen to him. But if he was on a forum like this not only would he be taught the combatability of his tank mates but he would have found a willing home instead of dumping his problems on you.

20. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Yoh that is cruel...like viper said your friend needs his nuts crushed...

21. Prodigy

Prodigy

Question after u have finished your cycle and the bacteria you have is thriving...What does it do to stay alive? doesnt it need food as well or is not a living thing? I was not reffering to the cycle at all...
    Very interested to know...need to understand this alittle better...

Recent Posts