Cycling a new tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Kavir, 12 Jun 2009.

1. Kavir

Kavir

Hey guys/gals

I was trying to figure something out about cycling a tank and was wondering, if you currently have a tank (1000l with abt 50kg LR) and plan on starting a 2nd tank (200l with abt 10kg LR) could u use 200l and 10kg LR from ur 1st tank into the 2nd tank? Will u still need to cycle the tank or could you put fish and corals in?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kavir

Kavir Thread Starter

Errrrrrrrr...

4. gstanton

gstanton

I think there would still be necessity for a degree of cycling... even if for a much shorter period than 'normal'

5. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

the key is in the sump and to some extent in the live rock, not in the water in my opinion.

Are you going to be using a DSB, if so then you will still go through some sort of cycle (not as long as if the LR was not cured) ......

rremember only bad things happen quickly in marines

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Neil and GStanton is 100% correct. The bacteria that assists with the cycling process (the denitrifying bacteria), lives inside the sand bed, and inside the live rock. The is only a very small amount of this bacteria in the water.

IF you took this live rock and water from the existing (already cycled, and possibly mature) tank, then the cycling time could possibly be reduced quite a bit. BUT, you will still have a cycling time, as your sand bed will still be very new in the new tank/sump....

7. Kavir

Kavir Thread Starter

Ah So there will be some cycling time jst not that much. Well my nephew is plannin on startin a marine And he's not 1 that has patients.
    But wot u guys say makes sense now about the bacteria. Think mayb i should let him start from scratch and get him on the forum and a few ppl here would be able to teach him about patience.

Thanks guys

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

AWESOME Kavir! Always great to have someone we can "teach"! ;)

9. chikaboo

chikaboo

Besides the water and liverock you can also "kickstart" his DSB by "seeding" it with some of your DSB sand just make a few handfulls should do the trick - provided of course you transport the livesand properly and all rules apply as if the sand was a living specimen! Dont forget to replenish your DSB;) This should should also help reduce cycling but you have to rely on your test kits for more accurate decisions about putting in livestock - Hope this helps but try to teach him about patience and all will be hunkey "DORRY"

10. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

If you are going to do this I would recommend using Seachem Stability for a week.

11. Kavir

Kavir Thread Starter

Chika this guy doesn't have the word patience in his vocabulary, he cant even wait 2min for an order tru the Mcdonalds drive tru. I did explain to him that if he's really interested in this hobby he needs patience, or he'l jst waste his money once it crashes, So he agreed to calm down. He's lookin for a tank as step 1 and amazingly he's still shopping around.

12. Kavir

Kavir Thread Starter

What's that? A buffer?

13. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

14. Kavir

Kavir Thread Starter

Thanks viper.
    Im sure the sponsors stock this So i'l send him round to check. He supposed to of registered on MASA but he seems to be MIA

Recent Posts