cycling a dsb without a skimmer??

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by duanead, 7 Dec 2011.

1. duanead

duanead

Hi guys so I'm going to upgrade from a 600l to a 1000l system,and I'd like the new system to be a dsb and so I thought I can start the new one up and cycle it and then if finished cycling I can move my skimmer and everything else over

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Absolutely fine.
    I would recommend that you do a 5 x 60 litre water changes during the course of a week. The water which you remove from your current display should be used to "seed" the new system.
    Next step would be to add some live sand, about a kilo from another system, or break the bank and buy a few bags of Caribsea arag-alve.

Continue the water change regime, continually adding the old display water to the new system.
    Once new tank is filled, move over some liverock and let it do its thing for up to two weeks.
    Move skimmer over and let it clean whatever needs to be cleaned in new system, test nutrient levels and slowly bring livestock over. Your tankmates should be fine for a few days or more without skimmer, as long as water remains well oxygenated. If you have decent flow from sump to display in old system, water should remain well oxygenated.

I also recommend dosing a bacterial "suppliment" such as seachem stability during the start up phase.

4. Jamie@Vertex

Jamie@Vertex

Good advice!

Recent Posts