Cycle of LR in container

Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice. I decided to get the sand and LR, and to start with cycling it in a container, while I am waiting for the tank to get drilled etc. Not sure if this a good idea? Need advice Please. And I decided to go with LR, not Bio as the price difference is not that big, and it filters. ( And it just looks nicer) I want the mushrooms to be very happy...

You can place the LR into a drum with a skimmer. Let it cure for a longer period of time. Do not put the sand in the drum as you are eventually going to move it to the tank. Place the sand directly into the tank after several good washes.
By the way, are there already and mushrooms on the LR?

Hi

Thank you for the advice, the LR is in hubby'e tank at the moments, (and still busy washing sand at the moment) The sand will go into a small tank to cycle until it is ready. I need to get the tank drilled so I can't put it directly in the tank at the moment.

And no mushrooms on the big LR that I bought. I will try not to rush things, altough I want it running as soon as possble. I have a few mushrooms on smaller pieces rock ( also in hubby'e holding tank at the moment)

Hi

Thank you for the advice, ( I was not aware that you can cycle the sand like this) Well it is in a holding tank cycling now for a week, with the LR. I can't wait to set up the tank, but I know I need to cycle for at leat another 4 weeks. (According to hubby, I would like a second opinion) Got the big tank drilled last week so need to clean it and get it up and running. Should I move the sand to the big tank when it is ready, or should I cycle water first for a week before I can put any sand and LR in.
Thank you for all the advice

Your hubby is correct. Once you move everything over to the tank, it will cycle again. You have to wait for the cycle to be over before adding any livestock. We say 4 weeks because this is the +- cycle period. Check your Amonia, Nitrite and nitrate levels during this cycle period every 3-4 days.

Back
Top Bottom