Cyano

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me the characteristics of Cyano so I can see if I have the damn stuff.

I thought my water flow was pretty good. Looks like the major outbreak is in my sump where the light is on 24/7. Will check on the phosphates and silicates.

I thought my water flow was pretty good. Looks like the major outbreak is in my sump where the light is on 24/7. Will check on the phosphates and silicates.

What sort of turnover do you have ?

WOW! It's been a while Brent - missed you at the last CTRC meeting! Except for the cyano - how are you doing?

Brent - cyano in your sump is not a bad problem at all - cyano is just another form of "bacteria" that can assist in "using up nutrients" (exporting of nutrients). IF you have it ONLY in your tank's sump - then leave it be - unless you are keeping frags in your sump and the cyano is growing all over your frags....

:nono::nono: pieces will come off and end up in the display. Other than reducing phosphates etc, just switch the lights of over the sump for a couple of days.

Hi Jacques. Sorry I missed the last meeting. When was it? I have been overseas for a while.

run your sump lights on a reverse photoperiod

Reverse photo period is when you run your sump lighting when your display lights are off. This is great to reduce pH swings if you have macroalgae in the sump.

As per other plants, when photosynthesizing the algae consumes CO2 and releases O2, this process will keep the pH difference between day and night nice and tight.

Nor sure how this effects the Cyano ?

Hi Brent - the last meeting was on 17th of May. Not the MOST interesting one though - but nice to chat reefs again with the folks and see the other Cape Town reefers again. A LOT of new faces though.
I do believe that cyano bacteria is somehow photosynthetic, and could reproduce MORE/FASTER when it has a lot of light. BUT, this is not what feeds the cyano - it looks like it is MOSTLY hi'ish phosphates that feeds the cyano. That said - I have also noticed that some times of the year there is ALWAYS a cyano outbreak in some tanks. Even the folks on the overseas forums complain about it... And it seems to be during the change-over from summer to winter in SA (I dunno why - as the temp changes don't really affect our tanks)....

I would just like to know - where in your sump are you seeing the cyno? Over the DSB? In which chamber of your sump is this (1st, 2nd? last?)....

Hi Jacques. Thanks for the feedback. The most Cyano is concentrated on my two heaters and on the glass in the DSB chamber. The one heater is in the DSB chamber and the other in the last chamber. I have tested for Phosphates and there is no trace at all.

Back
Top Bottom