Cyano: what would you do?

Reaction score
I've recently developed a bit of cyano on the substrate in the front of my tank. The tank is 130L with 45X flow in it, so I don't think flow is the problem.

Now I do 10% water changes weekly (13L), and with such a small volume can't spend money on a RO unit. So I buy my RO from VIP pets in Northgate (20L drum every 2 weeks).

In saying that this could be the source of my troubles... Any advice on what you guys would do?

I've also seen on some sites people mention that cyanobacteria is often part of a new tank cycling (moved over to this new tank about 3 months ago), and that they often wait it out and it resolves itself. That being said, its in no way taking over or anything, just looks a little kak.

Advice? Many thanks ;)

ok the way i remove Cyano.
Regular water changes (15% a week), skim very wet.run po4 remover

I'm doing all that possibly up water change to 15% weekly...

Now I do 10% water changes weekly (13L), and with such a small volume can't spend money on a RO unit. So I buy my RO from VIP pets in Northgate (20L drum every 2 weeks).

Sorry to say, there is your problem. I have tested there water and or though not particular high on the TDS (5-6) I kept getting Cyano till I started running my own RO.

As soon as RO water leaves the unit and enters another container the TDS will climb due to dust, carbonates etc within the drum itself so i wouldn`t blame VIP as their unit is only some months old and i personally tested the water and the TDS was 0.

As soon as RO water leaves the unit and enters another container the TDS will climb due to dust, carbonates etc within the drum itself so i wouldn`t blame VIP as their unit is only some months old and i personally tested the water and the TDS was 0.
makes sense Robin.i tested the TDS of my RO comming outa the pipe and got a TDS of 2.tested the TDS of my RO reservoir,TDS was 15

Don't get me wrong, I like the guys at VIP, but soon as I changed over to my own Zero rated RO, Cyano disappeared. And this was with the same livestock, flow and feeding regime. Maybe they have changed their membranes since I last used their RO, or I have weird dust in my 25L drum :whistling:

i dunno,Marco said so :p

Keeping the RO at zero can be expensive, and chance of phosphate only making up the 10 reading is slight, but i rather not take the chance, I have enough challenges as it is keeping my reef happy, without now adding some Cyano shit to the mix ;)

Sucks, I can't afford a RO unit especially when I have such a small tank and would only make like 10L a week! :(

If I may put a spanner in the wheel here, guys - Matt - IF the cyano is not bothering your corals at the moment, perhaps give it a week or so.... leave it and see what happens. If it stays the same for this period, or increases, then do something about it.... Otherwise, just leave it to dissipate...

Keeping the RO at zero can be expensive, and chance of phosphate only making up the 10 reading is slight, but i rather not take the chance, I have enough challenges as it is keeping my reef happy, without now adding some Cyano shit to the mix ;)
thats true.just giving a thumb rule here.i dont ever let my TDS rise more than 5 though

Matt, just because you have lots of flow, it doesn't mean the flow is put to it's best use, if cyano is on the sand you need to adjust the powerheads a tiny bit, as flow is also a very good way to combat cyano.

Wee-Man: thanks mate, thats just what i've done. I've put one powerhead right at the back of the tank near the bottom blowing through the liverock towards the front, and then another one flowing from right to left... Less surface agitation but hopefully better flow

Wee-Man: thanks mate, thats just what i've done. I've put one powerhead right at the back of the tank near the bottom blowing through the liverock towards the front, and then another one flowing from right to left... Less surface agitation but hopefully better flow

As long as there some surface aggitation you should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom