cyano turned brown

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Charl_Stanhope, 8 May 2011.

1. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Hey guys.my red cyano turned brown,or off red but its definitely changing colour. Ive only had a little bit for about a month or two. It happened after I moved home. is it a sign of it going away,dying.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yip, not happy, shake it a bit to wake it up.

Actually, I'm not joking. They tend to trap detritus somewhat and need to be tumbling away or be turned to help prevent it. The trapped detritus and dirt kind of smothers it. I found that you get cayno type if growth on the cheato, if it is dirty and with poor water movement. So yes, a good shake sometimes to loosen all the trapped stuff helps a lot.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Also, what light unit, type, wattage and how old is the globe you use. CFL globes used for Cheato should also be replaced every 6 months.

5. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

i changed half the bulbs a month ago and the other half this week. I had alot of diotoms and a bit of cyono. the diatoms are becoming less and less evryday. Also,I think after
    I moved home 6 weeks ago it started a new mini cycle. thats prob why started getting algae and cyano. Im running purigen and phosguard all the time and carbon for about a week a month.ive got a buyo tank,rated 10000k. I know its crap but Ive only got star polyps,fan worms and some shrooms in tank.

6. Charl_Stanhope

cyano bacteria no cheato. :biggrin: I was wondering how I can lift it up and shake it.

7. Charl_Stanhope

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

only other explanation is that you do not have enough food for your cheato and it is starving.
    when last did you check your water parameters?

Recent Posts