Cyano (Red Slime Algae)

Reaction score
Hi all.

I seem to have a Cyano algae problem in my nano aquarium. Grows almost Everywere and need some help regarding the Algae.

1. What might be the cause of the Cyano algae?

2. What can be done to completely get rid of the Cyano algae?

Thanks.

Pics say a lot. Agree with @madmatt, also overfeeding. As for lighting, the light bulbs could be the problem also lighting period length. As for flow, not enough flow in the tank can cause food and detris to settle and not being consumed leads to algae/cyano growth. For us to pin point the problem we need more details about your setup, what lighting are you using and how long during the day are they on? How much are you feeding? What flow do you have in your tank? Also give us some feedback on your parameters etc.

Hi @EFJ.
The lighting I am using is a Dual Oddesy T5 unit.
Feeding is twice a day (pinch of flakes in the morning and frozen food in the evening)
As for flow, not enough flow but will be resolved soon.

Hi @DaleB. How old is your lighting and what colour globes are they? How much livestock do you have and what? Flow is just as important if not more important. T5's are good for about a year (depending on make of globes) also lighting period can play a big role (if you have the lights running from 6am to 9pm for example). The amount of livestock also has an impact, to much bio load can cause problems. Also feeding a pinch can be a more than required for your setup. Maybe feed a bit less. Like I said maybe post a pic of your setup it can help alot.

Hi @EFJ.
The lighting is about 5 months old.
Colour of the globes are blue and white.
Light runs no longer than 8 hours.
There are also not allot of live rock in the tank about 8 kg only 4 pieces.

20160105_162845.jpg

Last edited:
Hi @DaleB. Ok, this is what I recommend. Feed once a day either a pinch small pinch of flakes or half a cube of frozen food (you don't have too much livestock at the moment). Cut down on your lighting period from 8hrs to 6hrs (till the cyano is under control and you have added extra flow) for about a month. Try to scoop out the cyano and the algae (try not to burst the bubbles I see on the back glass). See if you can do a 25% water change when done removing the algae and cyano. Cyano forms due to excessive nutrients and by reducing the feeding amount will reduce the amount of nutrients being added to your setup. By adding flow also prevents detris of settling on the gravel and hidden spots in the tank. Hope this helps and good luck.:thumbup:

Hi @EFJ.
Running a air pump skimmer.
Thanks for all the advice on what to do regarding the Cyano.

Hi @EFJ, @Dexter and @madmatt.

Thanks for all the advice and help.
I was able to reduce the growth/spreading of the Cyano by reducing and changing feeding methods, by adding some flow to the tank, corals are doing much better with the added flow, and by reducing the number of hours the light staya on.

Regards
DaleB

Yup, that worked for me too...
I tended to overfeed, the amount of food that my live stock needed compared to what I was actually feeding was my main issue.

Back
Top Bottom