Cyano, playsand, and eggrate dilemma?

Reaction score
128L Nano tank, substrate is playsand (not very thick).

I've noticed there is diatoms and a bit of cyano developing on my substrate! :cheers2:

Now i'm not 100% sure on the cause but i'm thinking it might be too little flow in the tank (only have 2 little powerheads that put out 1000L/h.

I'm buying a Nanostream 6025 tomorrow! (unless someone else could recommend a better powerhead?)

I'm also wondering if I should use eggcrate to raise my LR off of the substrate? If I do this though can I remove the LR, then put the eggcrate straight on the substrate or would I have to remove the substrate before putting the eggcrate in the tank?

I was thinking of going barebottom but not sure how my little hermits or serpent starfish would manage without substrate?

whats your nitrate and PO4 readings? this is often the culprit to cyno.
what are your power head ratings?
if you raise the rock it will increase the surface are on the live rock, thus better filtration or i should say more, as the rock will no longer be under the sand.

just my 2c

and whats your bio-load like? are you doing water changes often? if so how many liters per week/month?

i've got 2 occ clowns, 1 midas blenny and 2 purple firefish in a 130L tank so bioload isn't too bad?

My nitrate and phosphates are also good so i'm assuming its a flow issue? powerheads are 1000L/hour, would be better to improve the flow

can you give us the exact readings. and yes your bio load is low. is the cyno only growing in the low flow area?

Cyano only growing in the front of the tank (it's pretty much all low flow at the moment unfortunately (only about 2000l/h in a 130L tank...

Exact readings i'm not sure offhand, will have to test again a bit later

its most likely low flow. why not put two of the smallest seios in there and keep the two other small pumps? that would create some nice random flow

Those two small pumps are going to a mate with a 24G (perfect in that size tank), so i'll be upgrading tomorrow!

Just have to decide:
2 x SEIO M620 (although these are a bit unsightly)
or
1 x tunze 6025
or
2 x Boyu wavemakers

i just think one tunze wont be enough. it will be better to have to blowing at each other thus creating random flow. with one tunze it will blow across in one direction. imo

Tunze is 2500L/h.

Wouldn't 2 x 2500L/h be too much flow in a 130L tank?

if its two tunze no. speak to alfie about those pumps. the dont shoot a jet of water out, the almost fan the water outwards. hope you understand. drop alfie a pm

Tunze is 2500L/h.

Wouldn't 2 x 2500L/h be too much flow in a 130L tank?

You can run 2 x 6025's length wise across the DT facing each other which will create nice water movement. I would not be to much flow. I run 2 in a 80l nano.

Matt, they might throw up a bit of dust in the beginning but it will settle shortly.

yip you can use eggcrate and suspend the LR over the substrate,this will allow better flow

Ok upgrading to 2 x 6025's... Now just to source them!

Back
Top Bottom