Cyano and playsand

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by erle_vaughan, 17 Feb 2011.

1. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

Can anyone tell me about the link between cyano algae and playsand, i heard there is something to do with the silica leaching out of playsand...

Must i get rid of alllllllll my playsand?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Many people run their tanks with playsand and they dont have any issues. Then there are others who use aragonite and still have issues.

4. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan Thread Starter

thanks guy, so should i maybe chuck half out and mix the arragonite.

5. erle_vaughan

no more suggestions huh ouens?

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Are you having any cyano issues at the moment, or is it just something you read? How long is the tank up and running for? And are you sure it is cyano and not diatoms?

7. erle_vaughan

well, hopefully had... just did 200L water change and took all the play sand out, my LR is our for scapeing purposes and my tank has done just about 3month.

I work overseas month on and off, so i got back to find a red carpet of cyano slim mainly red and smally blue. on my DT sandy bottom floor. my live rock seams uneffected and there is like maybe 5% on the glass. i don't want to scrape it off the glass coz i dont wanna loose the macro i got.

got some ANTIPHOS Fe and kalkwasser today to start dosing.

8. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

I had the same issue, keep doing 20% big water changes. Helped for me.
    I did a 20% every other week.

If you still have cyano issues, look at Chemiclean.
    Allot of people swear by it. Have not tried it myself, but heard you should follow the instructions by the T!

I still believe that you should first try the natural way before going chemical.

I also stabbed a few holes in my sand.
    The areas that are disturbed regularly by my crabs don't have a issue.
    So maybe you need more hermits or sand sifting gobbies?

9. erle_vaughan

shot o's, so you reckon i can mix my old playsand in with my new arragonite?

i'm gonna wash it in RO, may even cook it for awhile. or else i gotta go buy another 20-30kgs of substrate.

Has anyone else heard of a connection between playsand and cyano.
    I plan on increasing flow in the tank by adding twon more sieo 1000s. and getting some gobies sounds like a plan.

Are there any other critters that eat cyano?

10. Dane

Dane

Is this a new-ish tank? There can be many causes of cyano other than your substrate. Playsand is very commonly used, without issues - so I wouldnt put the blame straight onto that...

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

your tank took a month to get to this point, and you over-react within a few hours by chucking out part of your system filtration capabilities.

Cayno will be where you have the least amount of water flow. my display is clean, my DSB is clean, my refugium glass and bottom got cayno.

In your tank, the cayno will be on the substrate. And your tank is just 3 months old. If it was high flow areas you would have had sand storms.

Also play sand do not leach silicates any faster than glass does. Maybe your grand-grand grand children, when they inherit your tank, maybe they could have silicate issues. Play sand is inept. Aragonite, only if PH drop to below 7, not even sure what is the real value - but by then your tank is in serious trouble. Only when in low PH conditions, do aragonite dissolve and release calcium that could be beneficial to your corals. That is why SPS systems run CO2 and special reactors. Other than in a reactor, it got no other benefit, other than looking good. So having a DSB of aragonite is just an expensive version of a playsand DSB.

Remember, only bad things happens fast in a marine tank. It used to be the signature of one of MASA members, cannot remember who. But anyway, you done something fast this afternoon. Only when your tank got whitespot, then you act quick to remove the fish into quarantine. But still, even then, you do not do any radical quick changes to the display.

Sorry, I do not want to preach. But take this advice and use it next time your tank does something weird.

12. erle_vaughan

shot @RiaanP i appreciate the advice.

i searched the interweb and came up with...
    ... substrate change, phos and 3days of darkness(bits and pieces of advice that i found on various sites, trying to avoid chemicals).

panicked i suppose.

so back to the question... should i put/can i put my playsand back into my tank, as i have mentioned my LR is out and will only be back in tomorrow afternoon after the scaping is done.
    or must i go out and buy more arragonite?

i was planning on layering the arragonite on the playsand to avoid sand storms.

The playsand is still intact and unharmed in a tub next to my live rock(which is also in a tub.

Shot again for the advice.

For interest sake what would you have done? just added more flow? add critters that disturb the sand?

oh ya and one more thing.... i did 100L water change before i went to work and until today it was only topped up with RO. would that have helped inspire the cyano? should i be trying to find a more filtered RO source?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

is the sand still wet, or under water. If yes, put it back. You will have some die-off. But as you now have no filtration capability in the display, at least that is something.

Top up with RO, that is correct. But what is your TDS reading? Bad RO could have an impact.

Yes, more flow helps. Also sucking off just the cayno when you do the water change.

What is your sump like?

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Maybe post a Pic of display and another of your sump.

15. mandarinman

mandarinman

dont mix aragonite and playsand(sacriledge) do water change and get more flow in tank for starters. after that try a phosphate removal chemical

16. erle_vaughan

how do i check TDS?

my sump was clean as a whistle, no algae no where of any sorts.

Last edited: 18 Feb 2011
  17. erle_vaughan

I have just run into a brand new fresh drama for the morning... my power tripped and after i switched it back on again, my TS2 will not turn turn on.... where do i start troubleshooting there?

18. erle_vaughan

mkay..... skimmer fixed.... drama over... while i had the skimmer out it got me thinking... do i ever have to clean the reaction chamber?

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

TDS - get a TDS reader. Or take sample in glass vial to LFS and ask them to check. Only 5ml needed.

Older TS2, the piece above the chamber could not be removed. New chambers you can. I got an old one. Too much hassle. Also my Aquamedic shorty, too much hassle.

Best option is to ensure that light above DSB for macro algae do not lit the chamber. Else you end up with algae inside chamber. Been there, done that.

20. erle_vaughan

Thanks again RiaanP, i got a new one that can open up. I'll give it a wipe down every now and again during the cup clean outs.

Recent Posts