Cyano Algae / Bacteria

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by alarkins, 5 Sep 2011.

1. alarkins

alarkins

Good day all,

Been a long while since I was last online here. Upgraded my lighting (was 2x T5 54W . now 4x T5 54W (2x Arctinic and 2x 12000)) and put the entire systems on an Aqua Medic AT Controller to regulate everything - mostly temp right now (heater and chiller within 0.5 degree delta) and flow pumps. Kalk and C02 are next steps once I get the pH probe to read properly - hassle of being colour blind I guess means I like the actual read out as opposed to those colour test. :)

Just something I have picked up recently was a decline in my kH combined with a new pest red algae. I thought this was originally the Tropic Marin Pro salt I was using to mix up with my RO water. Adding Triple buffer works well but I have never had this problem before and this used to be rock solid stable. Could the below affect this?

I have been told that this is cyano bacteria and is a real pain in controlling. I am syphoning up where possible and also "blowing": this off the SPS's and collecting in a net / directing to the skimmer for extraction. Either way this is becoming a serious pain the behind. I have been advised to add a chemical to sort this out but I am skeptical about "reef safe" methods. I have a SPS with LR and fish.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Temp - 25.5
    SG - 1.026
    pH - 8.4
    Calcium - 400
    Carbon reactor - full time one
    Phosphates - zero (thanks reactor)
    kH - averages at 7 but drops to 4 recently
    UV - always on
    nitrite - 0.01
    nitrate - 10-20 (always has been for the last year)
    Ammonia - 0 to 0.25
    Tank size - 250 litre. I change 100L every 2-3 weeks.

Last edited: 5 Sep 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

Whats your Mg like? I couldnt get my alk up until I started dosing epsom salts.

You can try something like prodibio biodigest or seachem stability to out compete the cyano for food. Then it will starve and die

4. alarkins

alarkins Thread Starter

Apart from calcium & Phosphate (started testing for the 1st time a week ago) and the other standard tests, I havent checked Mg at all. Very strange....

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

Alk, Ca and Mg are linked and related.. If one is off the others are affected. So the problem may not be with Alk, Low Alk could be a side effect of low Mg. A water change should help :)

6. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I have this problem at the moment....my ALK is low and so is my MG...get you'r MG up and then sort out the ALK...I was dosing until I was blue in the face until I was told that I'm wasting my time if my MG isn't right...

7. Tony Ingram

Tony Ingram

check out this vid [ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/BulkReefSupplyCom#p/u/34/mI52IyBtjp0"]BulkReefSupplyCom's Channel - YouTube[/ame]

alarkins likes this.
  8. mytank

mytank

I had it too and it was coming hectic what really helped me was:

1. A water change including syphoning the cyano
    2. I dosed special blend
    3. I added a high flow air pump - read in many places might not be scientific but it works.....
    4. Got two blue dotted cheek sand shifting gobbies who seem to do a good job of keeping the sand moving :)

Every week do a 30% water change. Also running 10 to 25 nitrate just can't get it down but hey everything seems fine.

that has seemed to keep things in check for me

9. alarkins

alarkins Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the updates. I have since added a 6000L/hr flow pump into the tank and it would appear that this problem is "contained" somewhat but still there. I have also removed a good portion of the sand bed as I was suspecting that this was becoming a Nitrate trap as it was about 5-8cm deep so. I will be going and get an Mg test kit this afternoon.

Recent Posts