Cutting an existing tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by jacoc, 26 May 2010.

1. jacoc

jacoc

Ok this is a stupid question...

But is there a way to cut the glass at the top of my tank to create a second overflow within the existing overflow...to attach a small chamber on the side with a hole in the bottom to feed a sump...?

The other alternative is to install a chamber at a higher place ...feed it with a suction pump and gravity feed back to the main tank...or ad a canister...but this still leaves me with no skimmer...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

this can be done, you will just need the cutting tools, what glass thickness?

4. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

what may be easier is to drain some water, drill 2 x 50mm holes which is not hard to do, then install a skinny overflow box on the inside of the tank, this will ensure surface skimming, then install a bigger overflow box on the outside of the two holes, in this bigger box you can put the durso etc .....

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

personally i prefer Neil's option as it will yield better long term results but another thing to consider is adding a box to surface skim and feeding a hang on skimmer from this. this ensures surface skimming and actual skimming of the water ..

6. Pads

Pads

Hey dude, I drilled my tank is situ then did what Neil mentioned and seems to work well you just need to fiddle with the ball valves to ensure the water level in external box is high enough so there's no waterfall noise. Have a look at my thread. Personally I'd install the internal skinny overflow to ensure surface skim then attach the plumbing directly to the new holes drilled in the tank. Thus eliminating the external box. I plan on doing this myself very soon.

7. jacoc

jacoc Thread Starter

All sound easy...My tank glass is 6mm and i'm terrified to even thinking of this...is their no other way of getting water down to a sump and back up...how does a canister work...taking in account power fail...maybe use the same concept...????

Recent Posts