Custom Tank Stand

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am building a 1300litre corner tank, and am battling for ideas around the stand.

The concern I have is the sheer size of the tank as it will be a 1600mm by 1600mm corner tank that is 650mm deep, so it will weigh roughly 2 tons. I was thinking of using 30x30x5 angle iron, with supports in the middle of each span (no more than 750mm between supports). But I am a little hesitant with the middle being unsupported, and only 20mm of the glass will be supported around the edges. (The plan is to use two pieces of 12mm glass on the base, the first piece bigger than the second so that the second piece can be used to support the viewing panes. )

While I want to over engineer, I don't want to go over board. I have 60x60x5 angle iron and it seems a little too excessive.

What stands do you guys have your tanks on?

I would use 50x50x5, but with 3 down each side, and 3 in the front, with perhaps 2 in the middle, will try do a sketch later.

this might be a bit of a over kill?

But I would deffinately recommend the latis (sp?) work for support!
3924943ee5356f71.jpg

i think that is overkill too bud. maybe just some good steel and decent cross bars and vertical bars, maybe three or four including the corner cars on each side would be fine. mine is close to one and a half tonnes and thats what has been done there. too much and the sump becomes impossible to work in

i think that is overkill too bud. maybe just some good steel and decent cross bars and vertical bars, maybe three or four including the corner cars on each side would be fine. mine is close to one and a half tonnes and thats what has been done there. too much and the sump becomes impossible to work in

Could you perhaps post a pic?

What classifies as good steel, square tube or angle bar. Baring in mind it's cheaper to get 50x50x5 angle bar than it is to get 50x50x2 square tube. I have a sample of the angle bar and the stuff is stiff :thumbup:

Last edited:
The box section would be stronger and look better, i had a 40mm box section frame for my last tank, it was very strong, according to the bloke that built it, you could put a car on it quite safely.

Could you perhaps post a pic?

What classifies as good steel, square tube or angle bar. Baring in mind it's cheaper to get 50x50x5 angle bar than it is to get 50x50x2 square tube. I have a sample of the angle bar and the stuff is stiff :thumbup:

I would use Angle iron unless you are going to galvanise it, that way, you can see if it starts rusting.

i would say box steel. the angle bar thats on my stand is a bit annoying. sorry, on my cell on holiday at the moment, so have a look at my 2m thread. if you want to do it properly go for the box steel and galvanise. it will be worth it in the end

The box section would be stronger and look better, i had a 40mm box section frame for my last tank, it was very strong, according to the bloke that built it, you could put a car on it quite safely.

If you go box (which would look better - but propbably not going to be seen) i would use gussets then, or not thinner than 5mm, for the stablity, but lattis is one of the strongest forms known. lets you use lighter steel with the same results, like in tower cranes, IMHO

yes the lattis would be very strong justin, but if you are goin to be havin a sump area then it will be really hard to work in. let alone get somethin in there. mine is hard to work in, big time.

yes the lattis would be very strong justin, but if you are goin to be havin a sump area then it will be really hard to work in. let alone get somethin in there. mine is hard to work in, big time.

Lattis only on the sides, against the walls as its a corner unit, did I miss something?

i think someone more in tune with buildin could help here but if its a square corner tank, and putting the lattis work on the two sides touching the walls leaves the two opposite sides weaker. they have to bear the same load and would now have a weaker structure. if lattis work is opted for i think it would be better to maybe do three sides or all four. i think to make it all simple just go for the bigger box bars and just make a simple easy to manage stand

Why not build yourself a thin concrete slab stand, as I did on my tank. This way you can support the whole tank, not just the outside perimeter. It's perhaps a bit of over-kill, but having experienced a large tank burs in my sitting room I can certainly recommend over-kill - it let's you sleep well at nights...

Here's a link to my tank thread, showing some details - shout if you need more info...

Oh, and good luck with the tank :thumbup:

Hennie

Back
Top Bottom