Cushion stars and LPS

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Lowflyer, 11 Oct 2008.

1. Lowflyer

Lowflyer

Hey guys, I have a bit of a problem and need your guys opinion. I was given two corals yesterday, a candy cane LPS and some polyps, not sure what kind they are, but I'm stoked coz a good oke in EL gave them to me for nothing. The problem I'm having is that it seems that the cusion stars (local star fish we find everywhere in rock pools in EL) have taken a liking to candy cane sushi and seem to have eaten a small corner of the coral off. Is this possible, coz if it is, I think I'm gonna say goodbye to the star fish as food for my friends harliquin.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Have you actually seen the cushion stars eating the coral? As far as I know they are safe in a reef tank, could be wrong though.

4. Lowflyer

Lowflyer Thread Starter

The same day I put the corals in, I saw one of my stars sit on it for a while and when it went away that corner of the coral was really light in colour and it looked as if it had been eaten.

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Hmmm, perhaps it was just investigating the new "smells" in the tank and just irritated the coral and it retracted a bit. Does the coral still look eaten, is the star still bothering it?

6. Lowflyer

Lowflyer Thread Starter

Star went back to it at one stage, but I removed it. Doesn't look eaten anymore, looks like it's recovered.

Recent Posts