Curved Glass Flow

Sparky

Shrimp
Reaction score
Ok, so I've been through all the posts on flow, but my situation seems to be a little different.

I have a curved class tank (half moon) with an external filter. I found a half decent diagram here Internal and external aquarium filters explaining quickly.

As you can see, the inlet for the water is near the bottom of the tank, and the outlet at the top, which seems to create a very basic "top to bottom" flow.

So my question is, would it be worthwhile mixing this up a bit, bearing in mind it's only a 65L tank? If so, what are my options?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Put an extra small powerhead of around 1500-200lts per hour, that will give you some more flow.

Sparky

Shrimp
Reaction score
Ok, so finally got around to putting another pump in. Got a Seio 2400lph. I've kept the casing on, and have it on the bottom left corner blowing over the substrate. Removed the long pipe for the other filter, and replaced with a much shorter one so it sits roughly in the center (left) of the tank. I'm worried that the tank will be too turbulent though. By watching food particles, they definitely stay suspended, but the cleaner shrimp seems to "rock" in her hiding place under the LR.

Sparky

Shrimp
Reaction score
Ok, so finally got around to putting another pump in. Got a Seio 2400lph. I've kept the casing on, and have it on the bottom left corner blowing over the substrate. Removed the long pipe for the other filter, and replaced with a much shorter one so it sits roughly in the center (left) of the tank. I'm worried that the tank will be too turbulent though. By watching food particles, they definitely stay suspended, but the cleaner shrimp seems to "rock" in her hiding place under the LR.
Sorry to bump guys, but any comments on this?

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
I'm sure the cleaner shrimp will move if he's unhappy. To make the flow a bit more gentle and spread out you could aim the pump at the glass so that it bounces off the glass and spreads out more.