Curvball's 12g NanoReef

Reaction score
...1st peak of my upcoming tank:
DSCN2105.JPG

1rh3i-ce01c01a632395a098ac2e986bc2da40.49ab3558.jpg

The Tank

12g AIO - modified

Lighting

Aqua Medic 150w MH OceanLight. Lamp undecided as of yet - probably 20K.

Heating & Cooling

Heating via 50w heater, cooling provided by IceProbe (to be installed within canister filter)

Circulation

Fluval 104 Canister filter (400lph) + 1 x Tunze 6025 nanostream

More details to follow... (instant updates via twitter or the nanoreefblog).

Sounds interesting what you're up to over there. I would personally go for a 14000K bulb as it is a better balance between blue and white light, however, if you like blue tanks then go for the 20000K bulbs.

What is the ice probe you're referring to?

masahello

Hey Cerv welcome back, long time no see/hear. I do hear congrats are the order of the day with a new addition to the family....well done. We need pics buddy.

Great to "see" everybody again - thanks for the kind posts so far. Alan and co, you guys have done an amazing job with the site - you should be extremely proud:thumbup:

And yes, our little boy, Cale, arrived on the 13th of Feb, really exciting (sleepless) times at the moment for us.

...despite the arrival of Cale, I can't believe I'm actually getting a tank setup again, it has been way too long and although I've been absent in the online forums, I've been keeping in touch with the hobby visiting the odd LFS here and there, lurking around forums and attending the odd West London Reef Club meeting.

Tom, thanks for the heads up on the 14K bulb, but I'll have 3 to colour ranges to choose from within the next few weeks (more about that later). I've always been partial to 20K - previous setup ran 2 x 250w Radiums.
With regards to the IceProbe, hopefully this helps:
"By using IceProbe solid state thermoelectric cooling system, the Aquarium Chiller directly converts electricity into cooling power utilizing the Peltier effect" link

The actual plan for this small reef is something a little different - it's been done before but on a larger scale, but I will be applying the same idea to this tank.

Stability is one of my major concerns (hence sorting out the heating & chilling aspect) and with this in mind, I'm busy trying to get my hands on a GHL Profilux controller - if there is one thing I know, this small amount of water needs a lot of attention to remain stable, so hopefully with the help of a computer I'll be able to keep all the parameters inline.

Will post updates etc when I get a chance. It's great to be in great company again.:wave2:

GREAT that you have joined us again Cerven! Thanks man! Much honored!

I will be following your tank build thread with GREAT interest! And a VERY VERY VERY VERY GOOD LUCK with the birth of young Cale!

Please don't be a stranger on MASA now, you hear!

Quick update:
3941130.jpg

Equipment list now looks as follows:
  • 12g AIO tank (Orca TL440) - modified 3 chambers/custom overflow
  • Tunze 9002 nano skimmer
  • Tunze 6025 nano stream
  • 150w MH AquaMedic OceanLight
  • Fluval 105 Canister filter
  • IceProbe chiller
  • GHL Profilux Plus II
  • 25gph RO unit
Incoming items include test kits, salt and a few other goodies.
Estimated 'go live' time - Mid April

well hello curveball, seems like you have ummmmm the basics well covered :)

nice of you to come back to MASA i'm looking forward to watching the progress of this tank, sounds like you know just what you want to achieve, keep the pics rolling will ya:)

oh and cant we bump that 'live date" forward a little, we reefers dont have much pacients! :)

Hey Hey.... It's about time !!! D2 has been live for 3 years already :D

Good luck Dude ;)

calvin, did you have to modify your "sump"area to fit that tunze skimmer? Does your lid still fit with it on, or did you cut the back section?

sorry my mistake, just had a peak at the pics again, seems like you did away with the lid totally and that the skimmer fits fine in the first compartment, but that you only have two compartments to that sump?

Back
Top Bottom