curing rock

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mala1610, 30 May 2012.

1. mala1610

mala1610

Hi Hennie

I'm Setting up my second tank even though my first tank is only 3 months old. My question is i have some old rock that was in a friends fish tank a few years ago and it has now been lying around on his patio. Would like to put these new rocks in my new tank.How can i clean these rocks? I will be adding some live rock to the new set up as well. At this moment i have sand and mixed water running in my tank with a wave maker and a heater. Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. paul bloem

paul bloem

Put those LR in a bucket (black) with a lid on and a skimmer and do weekly water changes on it and have a look at the phos, nitrits, nitrates. Once all that is zero then you can add it into your tank.
    This rock will leach phos like mad and will cause an algea bloom.

4. crispin

crispin

curing LR that has been killed is not a simple process and takes time. there are people that will tell you that just cycle it with added bacteria and you will be fine, but i promise you thats a dangerous risk to take and is most likely to lead to problems down the line and imence frustration and algae issues.

Paul Bloem has it correct, a black drum without light and a good skimmer with a heater and some internal circulation is what you need. Then dose a bacterial product like microbe lift special blend or probio and leave it circulating and skimming for two weeks. Do a big water change and leave for a week or two again. Then do another water change and take some LR from your exsiting set up (lowest in the reef if you can without light loving organisms like corals on it) and leave that in the drum as well to seed some bacteria you have in your tank as well.

at this stage i would add a light over the LR and see what the result is. If you get any algae, or cyano i would hesitate to add it to the tank at all.

i should add that eachg time you do a water change its a good idea to wash each piece of LR in the old water first. Simply hold it and give it a very vigorous shake. If there isnt enough space in the drum then siphon some old water into a bucket and shake the LR one at a time in the bucket. that will remove a mass of detritus and get new water deeper into the LR. Do this before you add the new water so that you are removing as dirty water as possible.

Rehabilitating LR is worth doing. But it takes time. any living organism that was on the LR, or IN the LR before it was died has died. That leads to a massive amount of leaching Nitrogen and phosphate into the water as you cure it. You need all that to be processed before if goes into your prized tank, else you will have issues with algae and cyano, and fish deaths from ammonia leaching at worst.

5. mala1610

mala1610 Thread Starter

OK cool that i can do. Thanks for the advice.

6. biovolt

biovolt

How long should it take to get LR that is full of phos to leach out all of the phos?
    i.o.w to stop the leaching of phos int he tank?

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Biovolt - "curing live rock" is also called "cooking live rock" - this is usually done in a container without lights, with only a heater and power head, to move the water around.

The time it takes depends on how much muck is inside the live rock. In my case, it took 6 weeks.

8. biovolt

biovolt

thank you @jacquesb

I am asking because salt is so expensive.

How important is it to do water changes in the container ever 1 to 2 weeks when "cooking live rock"
    I understand the phos needs to be removed from the water, but is there not enough creatures that will "remove" the phos?

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Biovolt - you can use your old water from waterchanges. You don't have to mix new salt for curing / "cooking" the live rock.

Yes - the bacteria and worms, micro fauna (pods) will clean out the rock, as they use the "gunk" as food.

You can do water changes - but it is not a necessity.

10. vatso

vatso

why do a water change? I don't see the need? just leave the rock in the container and let is have high levels of Phos when the stuff all dies off and turns into phos so what? rather do water changes with your running system water you going to be throwing away from your other tank.

also if the water has high Phos levels so what when you take the rock out the % of water being transferred across would not be a major problem your new or old system should be able to cope with it. the maths says so

if one puts 10 ltrs of water which is a lot into a 500Lt system and that 10ltrs of water has a ppm of 50 Phos it would increase your phos by such a small amount.

11. biovolt

biovolt

Thank you!

That is what I wanted to hear :)

12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

How much PO4 are you talking about. IMO cooking LR will not remove the PO4. There are other options to consider.

13. vatso

vatso

the idea is that the water with the die off will rote and create PO4 and nitrates

14. biovolt

biovolt

I have a hair algae problem and this is my last resort to try and stop the algae.

The only thing I can think of that can still cause this is the rocks leaching po4

I have +- 5 rocks in a black dustbin for +- 2 months now with a power head that used to be on a skimmer that also put O2 in the water.

I can not afford to change the water weekly :-(

My tank reeding’s seem fine but I assume that is only because of all the algae.

15. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I understand that bud. But the rock will also take up the PO4.

Biovolt is wanting to remove the PO4 from the rock.

@biovolt IMO there are two options. One is circulate the rock with a GFO or Algae scrubber. The other is to dry the rock and wash with sulphuric acid. The acid will "eat" the rock and remove the nutrients PO4 etc.

To make a decision on which route to take will depend on the PO4 level.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  16. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Last edited: 31 Oct 2012
  17. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

@biovolt i have quite a bit of dead LR that i will help you with and process for you. Just send me a pic, in a PM, of the rock you have in the bin and i will process similar for you to try. If it works for you then just give me the old rock dry so that i can process back into my reserve.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    biovolt likes this.
  18. biovolt

biovolt

Thank you @Nemos Janitor

I will pm you this is extremely kind of you!!

19. biovolt

biovolt

20. wotewo

wotewo

great to have you back on Masa hennie

21. jclaas

jclaas

Hi.

How does one identify which rock will be suitable LR? And in what sort of habitat or location is it found inside the ocean?

We all know how expensive Lr is...

Recent Posts