Curing Live Rock

Reaction score
Hi guys

I was wondering whether you could use normal tap water to cure rock and is it ok if no skimmer is used?

The reason for asking is that I have some rock that I want to put in a 250l drum and filling it with NSW is going to be a hassle?

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
No, dont do that as you will kill everything in the rock, must be salt water and is best cured when skimmed.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
If you use tap water, you will not only kill all the bacteria etc (as Alan said) but the rock will absorb all the nasties in the water.

Reaction score
get a big plastic container, put rocks in it with allot of strong powerheads and allot of airstones, do waterchange evry now and then until the rock smells like ocean and not like shit. Then u will be shorted.good luck
(no skimmer is needed)

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Andreas - I would perhaps suggest that you rather use the term "cooking" the live rock, instead of "curing". "Cooking" live rock means placing the live rock in a tank on it's own - with low light (that no nuisance algae grows, and ANY that might be on the rock dies off), with NO nutrients being fed to the container, that the bacteria in the water/rock can multiply and actually really working on breaking down the detritus within the live rock. This process could take anything between 4 to 6 weeks....