Cup too tight on TL550 skimmer.

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by Mc, 20 Apr 2012.

1. Mc

Mc

Hi all

I was putting my old TL550 skimmer together for another small tank I'm starting and the one thing I hated most about this skimmer is that the cup is so tight, I used to have to fight with it so much to get it out.

After fighing with it once again I discovered the little rubber seal between the skimmer and the cup is removable, you just need to stick something sharp in behind it and it comes out quite easily. I have it running like this now and it seems to run just as well without it.
    I thought I would just share this with you as I wish I had done it sooner.:)

Give it a try and let me know what you think. You can always put the rubber seal back again.

NickW likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. JS

JS

Thanks for this....I am having the same problems.....just removed it.....and it is still working fine!

4. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

No problem.;)

5. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

Another thing I did was to take the rubber and put it around the outside of the cup this helps a bit with vibration and can even be used to lift the skimmer cup slightly if you don't want it to skim as wet.

6. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I hated that of the skimmer. I must honestly say,Im only getting a little darker skimmate since upgrading to a better skimmer compared to the skimmate Im getting from the tl550 skimmer. If you tweak it a little and play around with the height you can get a fairly good skimmate from that skimmer. Have considered going back to that skimmer as I can close my hood properly with the new skimmer.

7. 2balive

2balive

Mine was so tight I did not even realized that it had a removal cup until a month after starting to use it.

Very happy with my Hydor Nano slim, fit in perfectly and the hood closes, just need to find a way to stop the pump strainer from getting clogged up, as every time it happens, I got to remove the entire skimmer to clean the strainer bit.

Last edited: 20 Apr 2012
  8. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

@Len I had the same problem I remember asking on the forum if it was removable because I was scared to break it.

@ I think my new skimmer the skimz hs1 is quite similar to Len's and it pulls out what my old one used to pull out in about 3 days.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. JS

JS

@ MC & Len Does the Skimz HS1 and Hydor Nano slim fit into the TL 550? I have the older TL 550 with the smaller compartments, compared to the new one. The standard skimmer was wg-308, but i have replaced it with the wg-310.....

10. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

I don't know as I have the newer one.
    The hs1 didn't fit I had to cut the skimmer cup to make it fit.

11. 2balive

2balive

I run a HS60, and I suspect my filter compartments are bigger, but the Hydor fits in quite "easily". Best is to measure your compartment and compare it against the specs. As seaid, the only (but serios) issue I have with it is how easily it's strainer gets blocked, quite a mission to get to it.

Look at my treads beginning, there is quite a few pics of it.

pls post a pic of it, woud like to see how it looks.

12. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

Here it is @Len.

Its hard to see where I cut it but I had to cut about 20mm off the top of the skimmer cup for it too fit, if you look carefully in the second pic you can see the edges are a bit rough. On width it fitted easily.
    It was cleaned shortly before the pic so you can't really see what it takes out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

Just thought I would let you know that I have been running the skimmer for a few weeks like this now and it is really working well.

Recent Posts