CuC not working...

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by AdamVR, 9 Mar 2012.

1. AdamVR

AdamVR

Went to my lfs today, to buy some clean up crew. I bought 2 blue legged hermits and a cleaner shrimp. Needless to say, one hour later I ended up with only 2 hermits. the cleaner shrimp being turn up in pieces. Are there any hermits that I can keep with shrimp, or should I just go the hermit or shrimp route, not both?

Regards
    Adam

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. rudeboy1

rudeboy1

Why was the cleaner shrimp in pieces? I have about 20 hermits in my tank with my cleaner and fire shrimps. They are compatible.

4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Not sure it is the hermits. They are clean up crew and will eat anything dead or week. Please explain how you acclimated the cleaner shrimp as this may be your cause.

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

http://www.aquahobby.com/marine/e_amboinensis.php

FreshMarine.com - Cleaner Shrimp - Lysmata amboinensis - White-Striped Cleaner Shrimp - Buy Cheap Cleaner Red Skunk Shrimp at Wholesale

Can you also mention the Salinity of LFS...?..I have heard of many that keep their Salinity as low as 1.021...although the majority will stick to 1.023(those who keep Salinity low)...that without the proper acclimated time period could be a factor to consider...you mention "pieces"...you don't maybe have a "hitchhiker" that had him for a meal..? You'r Tank is only a month old I think, so you probably wouldn't know if you had a Mantis Shrimp or say, a Bobbit Worm...:p My Cleaner Shrimp "shedds" once a month...but somehow doubt that is the case with you'r Shrimp....:(

6. mandarinman

mandarinman

Shrimps need longer acclimatisation. they will also move faster than any hermit. it also has the ability to fight off a hermit.

7. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

I agree with Mandarinman, my cleaner shrimp chased away the hermits when they came to close to pellets on the floor. Shrimps are very sensitive and need much longer acclimatasion time.

8. AdamVR

AdamVR Thread Starter

Hi guys

Thanks for all the wonderful responses. I acclimated the shrimp and the hermits via the drip method. I placed 2 containers(1 for the hermits and one for the shrimp) in the sump, to ensure the temp of their original water is the same as the tank. I placed the bags in the sump for an hour, then emptied the bags into the containers, and after half an hour I placed two airline tubes with a knot in the containers, from the DT, and adjusted for a drip rate of between 2 and 3 drops per second.

All my parameters test for a cycled, one month old tank, and it was also confirmed by the lfs, who also tested my water. The lfs's water is 1.025, as tested with my refractometer, which is also what they said their water is. My tank measures 1.024-1.025. According to the lfs, the temp in their tanks vary from 23 - 27decC, where mine is between 25 - 27 degC.

What might have been a factor is a trip of nearly an hour in the car, ue to traffic, but they were kept in an aircon'd car inside an empty coolbox. Maybe I just got unlucky, or screwed up somewhere that I still need to figure out.

I will give the cleaner shrimp another try though, before dumping the hermit idea.

Once again thanks for all the valuable input.

Regards
    Adam

9. AdamVR

AdamVR Thread Starter

Defo no mantis, but a bobbitworm could be a possibility, as I did take over some substrate from a friend, although I didn't see anything in it a month back, and I did check thoroughly...

10. Evo R

Evo R

The travel in you car had nothing to do with it. As LS some times travels for over 50 Hours when imported. I recon your drip rate was too fast and the time lenght of dripping too short.

That or you bought a weak dying shrimp and the hermits did their job by "removing" the shrimp.

Tobes likes this.
  11. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Are you sure the cleaner is dead and it hasnt perhaps moulted?

12. AdamVR

AdamVR Thread Starter

I thought maybe there was some temperature fluctuation possible.

I spoke to the lfs supplier. He also agrees that the acclimation rate might have been too high. I'm going to try a 12hr acclimation rate, instead of the 5hr one last time.

Definately.

Thanks alot guys, lets see if take nr 2 will work better. Hopefully I have learned something now.

13. crispin

crispin

it does sound like its most likely an acclimatisation issue, but just note a very slow acclimatisation can be just as deadly. Two to three hours for inverts is fine. 12 hours and you enter zones of other problems.

How sure are you that its a dead shrimp and not a molted case you saw with the hermits?

14. magman

magman

@crispin please explain a bit bud on longer, I always do well into the night with shrimps, especially those that I bought from an lfs that was kept in synthetic salt,

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Dripping too long can lead to a decrease in oxygen (depending on drip rate, size of conatner etc). This is especially a problem with fish.

crispin likes this.
  16. crispin

crispin

Thanks dave, agreed.

long acclimatisation often has little benefit (once acclimatisation is achieved after 2-3 hours then acclimatisation, is well achieved:)) there is little point of prolonging the process and one often finds a drop in oxygen levels and added stress, especially with larger fish, with increased soiling of the water with regards to detritus etc. Remember that most of the water in the container is from the LFS, which one does not want to go into the systems water supply. You can remove additional water from the container and throw it away, and allow that to be replaced by your drip line but you dont want the drip line to overflow the original water into the system, which is likely to happen over a long acclimatisation.

2-3 hours should be long enough for any invert and shorter is often better for fish, again specifically for bigger fish which use up oxygen in the small water volume of a bag very quickly. Fish like tangs, triggers and angels all breath heavily and use up oxygen fast.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2012
  17. AdamVR

AdamVR Thread Starter

Definately not a moult. I saw the hermit feeding on the white flesh of the shrimp, and in a 140l display tank, those antennae don't really have mush place to hide, even though there is a fair bit of LR in the tank.

The bag went in at 12:00

I placed the content into a bucket just now (13:30)

The drip is on, at approx 1.5 drops per second

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

As mentioned, your acclimatization process was to fast. If it was dead one hour later, means that you drip it for max 30 minutes. Shrimps, sea stars and imported hermits must be acclimatized for 2 to 4 hours. Local hermits that you collected can be dumped in straight away, but pay for them... and they will die. OK, still acclimatized local hermits, just joking. But from rock pools they are a lot stronger in regards to salinity and temperature changes.

next time, take your time.

19. AdamVR

AdamVR Thread Starter

:rofl::rofl:So true...

Thanks for the advice Riaan, so far the shrimp has been temperature acclimating for and hou and a half, and been dripping for 45min after that. I'll let the drip thing go on, and remove some water after a couple of hours to not let the container overflow, then I'll drop the shrimp in the DT in the evening.

Regarding the oxygen: The drip is dripping right in the middle of the bucket, so the surface tension is broken often. I don't think the shrimp uses up a lot of oxygen though...

20. crispin

crispin

no a shrimp wont use up that much oxygen, which is why is mentioned 'larger fish' :) how many cleaners are you adding (always a good addition to a marine tank, truley lovekly little things), personally i like a small group of them as they do better like that and if you tank is mature and stable you often get them to spawn, which is great food :) good luck with the new additions:)

21. magman

magman

I disagree with you guys there, inverts I have found I prefer a longer acclimitisation, at least 7-8hrs, imo there is a differance to them between synthetic and nsw, over that time, I increase the drip rate and I believe that gives more than enough,

local inverts I catch, I chuck them in the sump where there is flow, still in their catch bottle, for at least an hour, then I take them out, but they coming from nsw already and going to nsw.

for fish I use an air stone, and I acclimitise them for 1-2 hours, then bath them in paraguard for 1 hr, then I acclimitise them again much quicker (more for temp), basically opening the valve up.

Recent Posts