CUC during cycling period

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Stressed Eric, 16 Jun 2009.

1. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

Hey all, a quick question, my tank's in the process of cycling and i'm getting quite a bad GHA outbreak, I've stopped all lighting and am skimming very wet. The only test kit I have right now puts my nitrate's at a shade under12.5/l, my ammonia test kit seems to be out of it and gives me a big fat 0 reading despite the decomposing prawn floating around the tank! My question is about the introduction of a clean up crew during cycling just to control gha, how hardy are hermits and turbo's, and even a blenny? Will they handle the bad water conditions? What are your thoughts . . . . Thanks, Mark

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi Eric! I wouldnt add any livestock to the tank until the cycle is completed. You Amonia is 0, what about nitrites and nitrates?
    Sounds like your Phosphates are are a bit too high. Do you have any cheato in your sump? If not I would suggest you add some and run the lights for 18 hours a day. Get yourself some P04 remover eg. Rowaphos.
    What is the TDS of your RO water?

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Mark / Stressed Eric -

In response to your statements - yes - this can indeed work in killing the GHA off, what you have done.

Also - what Mekaeel suggested, regarding getting chaetomorpha, and run the lights in your SUMP area, for 18 hours a day, would also indeed work....

I would not place any lifestock in your tank at the moment. YES - some hermit crabs MIGHT survive, also some lawnmower blennies might also survive - but it would be a wee bit of torture for the poor animals, to be living in water where the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels constantly fluctuate....

Good luck with your quest to get the GHA gone....

Just be patient, and wait the cycle period out.

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Set up a nice sump light - a 6500k energy saver in these plastic outside fittings will work, bought mine at builders express near fruit and veg (about R30 + R10 for globe) - then, when you're ready, I'll give you some Cheato ;)

6. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric Thread Starter

Shweet Tobes, it's in the making . . . . :notworthy:

Recent Posts