Cube vs Rect Tanks

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by FransSny, 18 Jun 2010.

1. FransSny

FransSny

Thanks to Tiger (& his weird choice in LS), I have decided to give my 2 C on this issue:

I am not going into ALL the pro's & cons ....just one thing to ponder:

What is more comfortable (for us, & all living creatures for that matter), walking down a 600 mm wide alley with another person approaching or walking into a 2 mtr x 2 mtr space with the same person ??

Just ponder

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

11 views no comments..come on guys lets kick this ball around.....bafana isnt

4. Manic

Manic Moderator

Nice analogy. I think cubes with open aquascaping offer much more swimming space for fish than longer tanks of equal water volume.

5. SIMS

SIMS

it all boils down to aailable space and available money. I am sure 95% of us would love a 6mx6mx2m reef tank. Maybe I am just nuts :p

6. Annoying

Annoying

It's a hard topic... I don't totally agree with your statement of the alley and cube. A rectangular tank can be built just as a cube. I used my rocks that the backside is totally free of the glass. They can swim in the same manor as the would in a 360 degree cube. I feel for sertain species of fish like the tangs and other fast moving fish they prefer to at least have a sertain stretch of water that they can swim unstopped. In a cube they have to stop in every few corners but with a rectangle the have a long tank that they can use to their advatage. For the reef itself I prefer a cube as it makes the feeling that you just took a box and cut out a piece of a reef. It's also more compact to the eye, so the eye only focusses on a small point other then it would have to focus on a long rectangular tank. I would say for the Zebrasoma species of tangs the cube will work better as they like the height and they are known to be able to live in smaller tanks then their acanthurus cousins. I personally think the Cube is the best reef tank with SPS but a rectangular tank is the best for softies and LPS... Just my 2c

7. Manic

Manic Moderator

I disagree with the tang thing. My purple tang can swim in circles around the tank with out making sharp turns and stopping. With a longer-narrow tank they may need to stop and turn. I read somewhere that they use circular tanks for tangs as they can swim around all day without actually turning around.

8. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Cool , now the minds are going :thumbup:

SIMS.....6 x 6 x 2 mtr......ouch I am getting divorced soon I see

9. Annoying

Annoying

I must also add that I must admit that most of the time my tangs swim then graze a little and then swim a little and graze... So the direct stop doesn't actually count but when my tang whants to swim they go nuts:thumbup:

10. Manic

Manic Moderator

Thats true. Mine usually swims from one rock to eat and then to another rock. When it does swim it looks like a blur it swims so fast.

11. Annoying

Annoying

So actually taking this in counting, it means that the tangs rether prefer large swimming area, rather then just a long stretch for them to swim... So it can be either a cube or a rectangular tang but it must have lets say 200 litres of swimming area. Just snowballing here, what would you guys say...

12. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

My 2c is that in order for a tang really enjoy the cube effect it needs to of a certain size ie bigger , since having a small cube I think for smaller fish its great but I believe a longer tank will still be better for let's say a tang providing its wide.

That being said most will agree with Sims 6meter cube all the way baby!

13. Manic

Manic Moderator

You have seen my tank and how much space the purple tang has. So honestly, would you say there is enough swimming space in my tank?

14. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

Yip thus me saying of a certain size your tank is a great size I beleve anything above 900 cube is great , I don't think I would have many tangs in though my cube is only 600 and I have a tiny tang and I think it needs way more space.

I guess it still comes down to stocking and the tank size.

For instance tigers tank I presume will have a centre overflow? And of you has to place rockwork only around thiw overflow the fish will basically be swimming round and round wich should be great! Where as in a rectangular tank the need to go back again

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

The actual main problem with cubes is the sump design and layout. Difficult to get the standard 3 chamber design in under a cube. Take a 800mm cube 500L, Skimmer compartment 25-30 and return 15-20cm, resulting in a DSB of between 40 and 30cm. Although at 1m wide, it is a lot wider dsb compared to a Rect tank sump.

But a 500L rect tank of about 1.5 by .6 by .6 sump area, if you use same skimmer and return chamber size, then the DSB will be between 1m and 1.1m in length, and 600 wide. So the rect tank sump will give you a much longer and easier sump to work with.

On a 1m cube, you MUST be able to reach into the sump area from all 3 sides, or else you will hate it later. Especially if sump area is low and you can not get your head in. On a long sump that is 600mm wide (front to back) you do not need access from the sides.

Also T5 tubes are a problem, on 800mm cubes, you can not get 39W to fit. Must go MH.
    Same on a 1m cube. Must use 39W instead of 54W. OK, you can get more tubes in from front to back, but 2 * 39W 4 tube T5 units is a lot more expensive than one 4 tube 54W T5.

Last thing, depends on your area, a 1m cube plus some space between the tank and wall, do result in it standing almost into the middle of the room. Not a lot of places in your house where it could be nice, but a rect 600mm wide tank will only get into the room 700mm. But the difference is 400mm just more than a ruler length difference. "So what" do you say, but that is about 1 and a third standard floor tile. So just imagine your tank is one floor tile forward. Will it then be taking over the room, or be a feature you can still walk past.

16. keyaam

keyaam

I personally think it all boils down to aquascaping. Would you like to walk down a 2metre wide alley with a hole lot of rocks in your way or a 600mm wide alley where you can walk in a straight line.

17. Riddi

Riddi

why not just make a 850 w x 700 h should give some more space for the rect tanks?:whistling:

18. maj

maj

have best of both worlds.go for 850(w)X1.2m(l)X750(h)

19. Adee

Adee

My dream tank is 1.8m cube (rimless) that is totally viewable from all 5 sides...but then it would need to go with my dream house, which would have a basement layout as the "nerve center" that powers the reef in the living room.

I've got the 2m x 60cm.....hate it for scapping. The one I'm setting up now is 2m x 1m...much better, but still not the dream 1.8m cube...

Guys don't limit the space (under the tank) as the only place to house filtration, etc....I've channeled pipes under/through walls, under tiles

20. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

6mx6mx2m :thumbup: Ilike but don't have the space for that but the max space I can use is 1.5mx6mx1,5m but then there's no space for breeding tanks so I'll have to go for 1.5mx1.5mx1m or as my 3mx1mx1m where my arowanas were in, is empty but the only problem is that I need a crane to move it into my fishroom, so that 1 will have to go into my room:thumbup: or break it up & slap it together again once it gets into the fishroom

21. maj

maj

i see this has turned into "The Dream tank Thread" :p

Recent Posts