Cube tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by shane, 23 Nov 2007.

1. shane

shane

Hi All,
    I have a few questions that I could use some help with.I have asked Andrew for a quote to build me a cube tank,option 1:800*800*700 or option 2:900*900*700
    Now Andrew has asked me the fpllowing questions
    1:internal or external overflow
    2:I want to connect my OM 4 way to the tank as a CLS,would it be a pure cls(suck from tank and back into tank) or connected to the return pump.
    3:finally position of OM outlets ie on the back glass or through the base.
    I was thinking about assembling the rocks in a central pile as such in the tank so maybe have the outlets from the base.I would like some feed back and or other thoughts about the setup.
    Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Nov 2007
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Shane. Here's my responses - if of any value ;-)

1: I think that the actual size would be personal choice - personally: I think bigger is better (more water volume) - so I would go for 900x900x700, if it was me
    2: internal would be slightly better looking and quieter - I think - but, you lose a slight tank volume/size - also, you can then skim the top layer of water better (I think) to get to the top-surface based proteins that collect...
    3: Ideally, I would think that you would want not only water-flow, but (personal experience directs this choice) you would want your water to flow THROUGH your rocks - so, if you can - go for "from the bottom of the tank" water outlets....
    I have just installed a close-loop system. In my opinion I think that they are great for huge water-flow.... BUT, I would also have a separate return from sump....

My 2c worth... (not much value these days, hey ;-)

4. Tridan

Tridan

Agree with Jaquesb let your cls work through the rockwork it will help keep detritus out from under the rocks, a added bonus to this is the dispersed water floe.

After seeing a c2c external overflow box i would say that is the way to go (c2c Skims the whole surface of your water )

Good luck and you are in great hands with andrew.

5. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

I have a few questions that I could use some help with.I have asked Andrew for a quote to build me a cube tank,option 1:800*800*700 or option 2:900*900*700
    Now Andrew has asked me the fpllowing questions
    1:internal or external overflow
    2:I want to connect my OM 4 way to the tank as a CLS,would it be a pure cls(suck from tank and back into tank) or connected to the return pump.
    3:finally position of OM outlets ie on the back glass or through the base.
    I was thinking about assembling the rocks in a central pile as such in the tank so maybe have the outlets from the base.I would like some feed back and or other thoughts about the setup.
    Cheers

Hi Shane

I don't know how you can call either of those tanks a "cube", especially the first one :p

I'd probably go for external (c2c).

I think you basically have to put the OM as a pure cls if you have your outlets through the back or even the base. The reason being is that if it was connected to the return pump and the power fails the water in the tank would drain to the lowest outlets height ie. pretty much everything if on base. Base or back is up to you really... Could even do 2 and 2.

6. Hill

Hill

I agree with Jacquesb with everything except the internal/external overflow.

IMO it is personal choice. Both skim the surface equally well depending on how they were designed. As for looks internal can also be unsightly and an external can be hidden by a cabinet or wall, etc. Ok an internal can also be hidden by corals and rock work. So it is personal choice end of the day. As for noise it depends on design again. Get Andrew to include a Durso to minimize noise.

You are in good hands with Andrew. Well in good hand until his wounds heal. :lol:

7. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

yeah i would go with Jacques idea.900*900*700 will be an awsome size

8. shane

shane Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    Thanks for all the comments and recommendations. I have spent the morning thinking and planning this tank setup, and have come up with a few ideas.I think I will be going with an external overflow incorporating a durso standpipe,second I think the base mounted outlets for CLS but I will speak to Andrew and see what his thoughts are on installing non return valves below the base outlets to prevent back flow.I was also thinking about putting 2 outlets on the back glass for return from the sump and maybe even add my scwd to these 2 outlets.The return pump will also have a non return valve to prevent back flow in case of power outages.I would like to know how would it be possible to get the water to flow through the rocks if I have a central rock pile and the cls outlets are at each corner.
    please keep your comments and ideas comming
    Cheers

9. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

i would say go for the base style CLS with four outlets

10. Tridan

Tridan

To achieve flow through your rockwork with a cls you would need to plumb your cls to
    the position of the rockwork. As Mekaeel said 4 outlets would work well 2 under the rockwork and another two for water column circulation. i am a bit scared of non return valve's in a system as you never know if they are always up to standard, remember you would need to check them often to make sure they are not faulty. Just makes more work i feel but i am sure it can work.

Recent Posts