cube sump design advice/help

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by NADEEM, 6 Dec 2012.

1. NADEEM

NADEEM

Hi all, i am going for a cube, dimensions : 650 x 650 x 500high.

I can not work out how the sump should be or how it should flow, please help.
    I do not intend having a DSB, i would however like to get some Chaeto in there but if i cant then its fine. my skimmer will be reef octo 160xse xtreme, footprint of this skimmer is 18cm x 20cm.

what i do need in this sump is a large area for the return pump, as i intend having 2 return pumps and large ones, reason for this is cos i want to use my return lines to create nice flow in DT, anyway a large return pump area is needed.

can you guys recommend any designs? what has worked for you perhaps? have never had to setup a sump for a cube before, should the sump also be square? or rectangle? does it matter? please help

Sharp Guys
    Nadeem

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Hi nadeem, glad to hear you also going for a cube!!! They are very nice & ive enjoy mine very much!!!
    I originally also used only 2x return pumps to create flow in the tank but i had a lot of problems from this & i wouldnt recommend using large pumps for this!
    My tank is the same size as you are planning & i had 2x 2500l/h pumps on 2x seperate return lines & it was way too much!
    I have since then removed one pump & reduced the other to 2000l/h & im getting very nice flow without the problems...
    If you still want to get 2 pumps, try 2x 1200l/h pumps!

The biggest problem i had was microbubbles... Just too much flow for the sump size as thr micro bubbles doesnt get time to reach the surface to pop!
    Will give you a couple ideas for sump designs a bit later today when i get some time!

Last edited: 7 Dec 2012
  4. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

very interesting, shot dude, good thing you told me this before i went out to buy pumps, i was planning on getting much larger pump in fact, lol. wouldve been a disaster.
    can something not be inserted into the sump to get rid of the micro bubbles?
    look foward to looking at your designs, and how your sump looks now also.

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

HI,

You can make a bubble trap to reduce the bubbles, or put the inlet pipe in the sump into a filter sock, that should help

6. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

just checkout out your thread Visser, yoh, amazing DIY bra. oh btw, did you get the MH i posted to you yet? did my best with packaging, struggled find a suitable box.

anyway, i see you used a DSB, i like your sump design but dont want a DSB, thinking of your design now, make the DSB section smaller just for some chaeto and then make the return pump chamber bigger to accomodate the 2 return pumps

7. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

Hey DallasG, shot for the advice bra

8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i have my skimmer going into a filtersock, the 160 has a gate valve you can add some pvc elbows and get it just right

9. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

@Visser, any sump design ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. SharkQ

SharkQ

Cube 800x800

Hi @NADEEM

I just finished my journey and a cube is def the way to go

I have attached a few pic's , this might help with some of your ideas

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So from the display tank mine runs into the black container which has some live rock in, from the black container it runs down into the skimmer compartment which then flows over into my media compartment and then through to some more live rock and cheato, then flows into the return.

11. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

HEY, WHY DO YOU HAVE A SMALL TV IN YOUR TANK???
    LOL

Thank you bud apprecitae all the pics and help

12. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Thanks nadeem...
    I have since then removed my DSB & im in the process of building a new sump as the current one needs some upgrades...

I just have a couple of points to highlight for you around nano sumps...

1. Keep it simple... The less fancy you do it, the easier it is to operate...

2. Make your return chamber large enough to handle roughly twice the volume required. (when your power goes off, a lot of water overflows from your tank back to the sump so you need the volume)

3. Make three or more baffles between your skimmer & return chamber to minimize any bubbles.

4. If you want to put in a filter sock (which is always a good idea...) put it in your first chamber & put the top of the sock lower than your sump overflow level... (when filter socks get dirty, they overflow...)

5. Try to minimize your chambers to only 2-3 (one for skimmer & equipment & one for return) It gives a constant water level which prevents skimmer overflow.

6. I would recommend that you rather use nitra-guard biocubes than using macro algae for nutrient export. The amount of algae that can fit into a nano sump isn’t nearly enough to maintain low nutrients & the nitra-guard takes up a lot less space!

Here is a drawing of the layout of my new sump that is rated for +- 2000 – 3000 l/h
    In the first chamber, I have the biocubes, second is for skimmer & last for return…
    Note the large size of the return chamber…

13. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

@Visser, no drawing? thank you for all the advice, appreciate it.

going with sump size - 600 x 450 ... what i want to achieve is in the 1st chamer, filter sock, skimmer and a return pump(1500lt/hr), second the macro algae/biocubes, third return pump(2500lt/hr)

would this work? the return in first chamber is a 'fake' CLS lol, going to be used to create flow in DT, also return pump will be used to crate flow in DT, so no flow pumps in DT.

What you guys think of this? can you see anything that could possibly go wrong here?

Recent Posts