Cryptic zone

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by herkie, 20 Jun 2010.

1. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

I would like to build a cryptic zone and space is a major problem. I am thinking of mounting it on the stand behind a filter that is attached to the rear panel of my tank. This filter was intended to be a DSB but the water flow is much to high over it and nothing that I can see lives in the sand. The idea is to move the DSB sand into the cryptic zone and then to have some rock instead of sand in it.

I am planning to increase the shelf size by mounting a shelf on the area where the piece dead coral is lying up to where the pump box is. The overhanging part will be supported with two legs going down to a brace in the stand frame.

The CZ size will be 280 x 200 and 600 deep with overflow running into the DT. I am thinking put about 180mm deep sand in the bottom and probably three - four shelves higher up.

Your advice will be much appreciated.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 20 Jun 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. herkie

herkie Thread Starter R.I.P.

I can see it is Sunday and most of us are lazy. Well I started the construction and hope it will be ok. Dimensions: 600 deep x 280 x 200.[​IMG]

4. Dane

Dane

Looking great! :) I am busy building a cryptic zone in my behind-tank refugium too! but MUCH smaller scale for my tiny little 70L nano... We will see how everything fares, some drastic scaling down going on. :) nice build so far and thanks for the pics! How are you going to black it out?

On a side note - how long has the dsb been in place? It took a long time for all the life to really show in mine. Be wary of disturbing the whole thing... besides - its the things you cant see that are doing the work thats needed ;-) tho I'm sure you know this!

5. herkie

The bottom glued on and weighted.[​IMG]

6. Dane

Dane

what will the surface area of the DSB be? and what is the volume of your DT?

7. herkie

I have had this DSB plus another smaller one in the sump since I started this tank about9-10 months ago. I thought I will get the 2 too small DSB's going by putting baffles to stop the fast water flow over them. If I compare it to the previous DSB I built it should have shown some life by now. On the other hand I would love to get some more rock in the system and this is the chance. And this extra filter will more than 30% to my system volume, so I feel happy with what I am doing. The disturbing the system part does worry me however, but I will take the chance and hope to improve my setup as a whole.

I will paint two sides and the other two will have black panels that slides down in guides to keep out light and allow nosy monkeys like myself to peep in.;)

8. Jacojs

Jacojs

Following.

Jaco

9. herkie

Cryptic zone +- 33ll, sump +- 30l and display +- 80l.

All the replies about size does worry us with the small tanks, sumps etc. doesn't:) it?

10. herkie

The corner reinforcing and first two shelve supports fitted. I an going to add corner reinforcing and shelve supports for two more shelves.
    [​IMG]

11. herkie

And below is a image of the completed cryptic zone filter that needs a bit more work on it with a spent fuel cell to the bottom right.[​IMG]t.

12. Dane

Dane

Awesome! :) Love it herkie!!

I am building a sort of refugium to stand behind my little nano. Its going to be about 30L total. trying to cramp a sumps worth of stuff into it. DSB, cryptic zone, cheato and an ats! So trust me, i know what you mean about space! T_T

13. herkie

And the wife asking how it works, where it fits and the worst: How much machas!
    :peroni:;):thumbup:

14. PeterL

PeterL

Not too shabby hey Nige...It is maybe too late now to mention it but you would have had a lot more room to work had you moved the sewing machine out the way ;)

The long slender idea rings an idea in mind for my CZ which I have been putting off for some time now, keep us posted as you continue building - looking good so far.

15. PeterL

PeterL

I like the spent consumable in this cool weather

16. herkie

We have some very well grown citrus available in Zululand. And it gets even better once distilled to above 80%, mix that with fresh grapefruit juice and you have it all.:)
    [​IMG]

17. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

LOL Herkie! I really like that last pic! HHHHHAaahaaahahahahahahhhhaaahaah!

BTW: For a refugium - size is not really the "biggest thing" ;)

Even though: "size does count", doesn't it? ;)

18. robertkukla

robertkukla

looking good

19. herkie

I have almost completed the building stage of my CZ and now I think of something new to me. After the CZ is built and plumbed to the tank, how do you get it started up and running? Obviously the sand in the bottom must be in first and then water follows, what I now wonder is: Will it be OK to start the CZ up and run it while placing those nice pieces of rock found in those secret places you know on the first shelf. When the first shelf is done you fit the second in place and start populating number two until all the shelves are full. I think doing it this way we will be able to stock the CZ with the biggest diversity of life.

20. herkie

Lots of lazy ones on the site and no replies. Maybe it was not only Zululand that had good weather yesterday. Will this worl for in and outlets, the idea is to create a circular flow to allow solids to settle down to the DSB,
    [​IMG]

21. herkie

Let me post a clearer photo.
    [​IMG]

Recent Posts