Crushed coral or playsand

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Qaiser, 27 May 2010.

1. Qaiser

Qaiser

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

application

depends what ur usin it for, for a dsb, the finer grain would be better but i just like using crushed coral cause its natural :)

4. Qaiser

Qaiser Thread Starter

5. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

i personally use crushed coral, play sand can be a bit too fine and not look as good as crushed coral, its a personal choice really, i think crushed coral looks nice cus it has specs of red and blue ect

6. Qaiser

Qaiser Thread Starter

7. Jinx

Jinx

PM NEIL H he can give you great advice on this subject

8. Qaiser

Qaiser Thread Starter

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Qaiser - personally I feel that this is a case of "personal choice". This has been a very widely discussed and debated issue in the past. So - it's a case of what you can afford, and what you feel works for you......

I, personally, cannot justify the purchase of aragonite substrate. So - I use playsand. Other people again - prefer the look of aragonite.

Aragonite does not really offer any real benefit (in my humble opinion), other than aesthetic value.

BUT, hey - that's me. Other people would most likely have their own opinion......

10. Dane

Dane

Doesnt aragonite act as a buffer? Its calcium based...

I use natural beach sand as a substrate.

11. jacquesb

Dane - aragonite can only act as buffer, IF it gets dissolved. AND, it can only become dissolved at a pH of less than 7.... And lifestock in your tank would be DEAD, if your pH is lower than 7......

Natural beach sand is about the same as "playsand"...... It is silica based, which is inert....

12. Dane

Dane

Valid point :razz:

agree that natural sand is inert - was offering it as an alternative to playsand. The grains are round, offering better surface area etc.

As an aside Jacques - why did you choose playsand instead of beach sand? Is it much whiter? Just aesthetic preference?

thnx :)
    Dane

13. Qaiser

Qaiser Thread Starter

Thanks jacquesb and dane.Im using aragonite at the moment, sugar grain in the sump and 3mm in dt.Im planning on build a project tank whilst i have crushed coral from a previous freshwater setup (never dosed anything) so i was just wondering how it works.I had the sugar grain in my dt but it kept on blowing around.Does beach sand do the same.

14. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

jaques is correct, the dissassociation constant for calcium is so low at the PH of seawater it doesnt really dissolve, theoretically it dissolves but at a rate of like 1g per million years lol, personally i use crushed coral so i can say to people 'i use crushed coral' cus it makes me feel cool :razz: kidding of course, i jus like it cus it looks nicer :thumbup:

15. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I disagree. Aragonite dissolves at a PH slightly lower than 8. Crushed coral and calcite dissolve at a PH lower than 7. Remember that Aragonite, calcite and crushed coral are all calcium carbonate, but calcium carbonate is not Aragonite. They have different structures and hardness's. Refer the NH post on substrates.

16. Dane

Dane

No! Thats one of the things I love about natural sand, mine doesnt blow around at all. Seems remarkeably cohesive... not that I have particularly poten flow in mine. rounded particles should theoretically have better compaction? maybe thats it? Anthony Calfo has extolled the virtues of natural sand for application in a DSB in some of his original articles. Although he also stated that it doesnt really make a big dif.

17. brentv

brentv

I reckon the white look of aragonite in your DT is a visual preference...
    But as for the DSB can't beat fresh fine beach sand collected at low tide... full of life and really works straight away...
    I add an ice cream container full of 'new' fine seasand to a space in my sump every few weeks... when lights go out that first night after doing this tank is teeming with bugs of all shapes and sizes!!
    I honestly believe if you can collect beach sand in a temprate area it is tops:thumbup:

18. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

For me to get 120 to 150 kg of real sea sand to Pretoria. And hopefully still alive. Impossible the way my wife packs for a trip down.

So in Gauteng, then Playsand is the best. Cheaper than Aragonite. In my opinion better than crushed coral due to detritus settlement. And it also gets blown about exactly the same as aragonite. If it does blow around, adjust your pumps. Anyway it will settle and look just as nice as aragonite. If your wallet is thick, yes go for aragonite. Other than the bling aspect, there is no difference between playsand and aragonite.

Just wash the playsand until it is white. And buy the playsand from a garden centre, not Reggies. A lot cheaper, some stuff and just as dirty. Do not believe Reggies if on the bag is states "Washed" - it is not

20. keyaam

keyaam

Is this for the nano. Seasand!!!!!!! ask riyaad where he got his from. Its superwhite

21. jacquesb

Hi Nemo's Janitor. Points accepted. But just a quick question. IF Aragonite does dissolve at a pH just below 8, who (who uses aragonite) have to keep on topping up their DSB depth (either in the display tanks, or in the DSB in their sumps)?

I have never heard of this happening, where the DSB depth decreased due to aragonite becoming dissolved due to pH?

Recent Posts