Cruel treatment towoards great white.

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by leslie hempel, 24 Oct 2011.

1. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

I picked this story up on FB.. the images in the persons gallery clearly show this animal being pulled out of the sea by 3 men. yet he denied doing this when confronted in this article..

the pictures on FB are horriffic and show the juvenile GW being grabbed by the gills in order for it to be lifted from the water...

George shark man denies landing great white - Cape Times | IOL.co.za

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

Search for the Rock, Surf and deep group magazine on FB for more info...

Last edited: 24 Oct 2011
  4. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

:eek: That's just wrong :( ! Thanks for sharing Les.

5. SteveZi

SteveZi

I want to comment on this, just from what I read in this article.

It seems that this guy wanted to pose for a photo with his catch.
    On various dives, I have come across fish with hooks and trailing lines in their mouths – the condition of these fish are almost always shocking.
    I once caught a +- 6kg musselcracker with my hands, while diving ( it swam up to me) and took a hook and trace out of its mouth. The fish had terrible finrot and infection around the mouth and probably would not survive, although I released it and it swam off.
    Some of these techniques for release are just cruel. I would have taken this shark out of the water also, just to get that hook out. Contrary to belief, I think it takes a bit longer for a hook to just rust or fall out.
    The effect of gravity on the fish’s internal organs is a concern, but just look at those guys on TV hauling those big great whites (with giant hooks) out onto a platform in the name of science and selling their shows to networks.
    Grabbing the fish by the gills is obviously pure ignorance and the concerns for the wellbeing of the fish is not taken into account.

6. seank

seank

Cause people use stainless hooks (it shoud be banned off the shelves) and carbon coated hooks. Normal Mustads or Kendel rounds rust within one day in my tackle box if I DO NOT WASH AND DRY THEM PROPERLY

Last edited: 24 Oct 2011
  7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

@SteveZi i agree and thank you for your contribution and insight, it does definatley give a better perspective as to why someone would try to remove the hook,, afterall it isnt a small 2 O hook that will rust in a month...

the pics on FB are horrible.. i agree that he couldent have known what he caught *as in species specific) but i have witnessed an angler pull out a great white of a simular size and while scraping on rough rock and barnicles was unavoidable (unless the line was cut) they were extreemly professional in returning the shark back into the water..

he still got into trouble for catching it though.. the sad thing is this guy blatantly lied about his intentions its evident in the photograps and he pulled this shark out in a very unprofesstional manner..

he deserves at the very least a nice FAT fine...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts