Creating sufficient flow?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by moz, 4 Dec 2008.

1. moz

moz

I'm currently planning a new 1000 l tank, and would like some suggestions on creating sufficient flow for sps corals. My idea at the moment is to have a polario (22000 l/hr) and 2 powerheads as shown as well as a CLS. My problem is the sizing (flow rate) of the CLS and powerheads, too high a flow from the CLS and I'll need too large an outlet to prevent excessive velocities at the outlet. Unless I go for multiple pumps/outlets.
    Any suggestions on CLS pumps and outlet sizing, powerheads or any other ideas regarding flow.

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i think the basic principle of getting the detritus, old food etc to the skimmer is yor immediate concern.. the balance of flow could be adressed with internal pumps. i see on the overseas forums CLS positioned in the base of the tank is becoming more and more popular.. also nice and neat.. see pic below.. i personally use OR3500 pumps as they are reliable but would definatley consider pruchasing an ESPA PICES pump for this purpose in the future..

[​IMG]

Last edited: 4 Dec 2008
  4. scubaninja

scubaninja

Hi moz, i myself have a CLS and am planning one(5 actually:)) on my 2m. It does the job big time. But you have a problem here. You never put pumps pushing away from the overflow, unless its at the very bottom of the tank pushing in a 45 degree upwards or something like that. You always push towards your overflow. SO, i would increase the number of powerheads, it still may not be enough. What is your total water volume? in my 2m i have set myself a flow of 50+ times. For a CLS, a pump of about 2500LPH would do the trick, but i suggest that if you can, have two separate CLSs, one for each pump. and each covering half the area you are intendin on. As far as power heads go, the placement goes like this:
    not sure on polarios so i cant really help ther-what does it do?
    But, one power head in the top right hand corner pushing towards the bottom left back corner, One in the back top right hand corner pushing towards your overflow at an angle of your choice, and one on the back pane of glass, just above all your LR pointing back at the First one(not sure how the polario interferes here). And one in the front left corner maybe halfway up the glass pointing at the bottom back right corner(but this one with a smaller rating than the others.

That(generally) was what Alan told me to do with my own modifications on it a bit. But the general rule he told me was not to push away from the overflow. We dont want all the detritus in permanent suspension:)

For the CLS, put as many small holes as you want(2mm). Make some push 45 degrees inward(top of the LR stand), the bottom some would push horizontally, some push directly outward(some detritus gets trapped under the LR stand itself where there is no flow so this helps). And you should be fine, but not too many holes, i'd say in total about 20 or so per stand. just a guess here, but every holes takes a bit of the flow, so think about it. But remember that the holes closer to the pump always pump more than the ones further away:thumbup:

5. leslie hempel

i am suffering from the dtritus lingering in permanent suspention.. believe me its a problem.. i am playing with pump placement to aleviate this problem.. id mainly focuss on getting it out from beneath the rockwork and into the overflow.. thats my gal.. luckily my CLS pushes from beneath my rockwork nicley.. but it all settles in the front.. see pics in my thread (leslies 1.2) for more info if you want.

6. moz

moz Thread Starter

Thanks, my problem is I'd like to avoid powerheads in the tank, I don't like the look of them, the reason I thought of putting the powerheads next to the overflow is that, the area would be hidden, but I see your point about them not being too near to the overflow. My total system volume will be about 1500 l (excluding rocks, equipment, etc) with the display about 1000 l.

7. scubaninja

scubaninja

have an extra power head pushin from the back pane of your tank(fit nicely inbetween your two bits of rock) as low down as possible pointing at the silicon sealing. this will pick up all that stuff and carry it up the glass, but it may also push it to the sides but your CLS will help to pick up the stuff that moves to the sides

8. scubaninja

scubaninja

well, mine are kind of camo looking so you dont see them, remember SPS grow fast under increased flow and they will soon cover the pumps and hid them:) i did see in a good mates tank that he stuck a monti frag onto his magnet cleaner to cover it and it grew over it so that is totally hidden now:) cool idea:)

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hey guys - just my little bit of input - however much it is worth:
    The ONLY REAL WAY of keeping detritus REALLY in suspension, is to have power-heads that delivers a REALLY WIDE dispersed flow, blowing WATER DOWNWARDS towards the bottom of the tank, and then some others to have your general tank water flow.....

Otherwise the detritus settles at the BOTTOM of the tank, where the other powerheads' flow does not reach...... STILL causing major problems! :thumbup: :whistling: :biggrin:

10. scubaninja

scubaninja

or you could have a really really big regal tang:)

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

LOL Scuba! Yeah - my regal assists with my water flow! LOL!

12. scubaninja

scubaninja

i'm going to have a huge achilles to do that:whistling:

13. leslie hempel

why not put a piece of perspex across the whole inner side by the overflow.. drill some holes in it and mount your pumps with the flow pointing out of the "box"... cut grooves at the bottom so that water can enter and be blown out.. will try find a pic to clarify what i am saying..

14. leslie hempel

[​IMG]

i hope this helps..

15. leslie hempel

whats inside the box..

[​IMG]

16. moz

moz Thread Starter

Interesting idea, but wouldn't that be the same as having powerheads pushing away from the overflow.

17. scubaninja

scubaninja

it may to some extent. can't say to be honest cause i've never seen this before. but i'd say be safe and avoid pushin away from the overflow. but i'm interested in that les. any pics of it in action?

18. leslie hempel

i think the height that the pumps are positioned at are important.. eg: if the pump is near the top it stops the water entering the overflow, if the pumps are near the bottom they kick up the dirt and blow it across the tank, the dirt retuns towoard the overflow nearer to the surface and eventually (depending on flow pattern and flow velocity) gets pulled into the overflow.. alternatuvley another pump on the opposite side facing the overflow (aaaaggggghhummm vortech aaaagggghhhuuummm) positioned near the top will ensure the dirt is pushed over the overflow steadily and consistently..

i will post the link on the above pics ...

19. leslie hempel

Recent Posts