Creating a shipwreck environment

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by FransSny, 22 Nov 2009.

1. FransSny

FransSny

Hi guys,

Toying with an idea of creating a "wreck environment" . Any ideas , has anyone tried this ?

BTW not talking those small k@k little wrecks you buy from the LFS. Would like to make it as real as possible

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Adee

Adee

Frans, thought I was the only one...often thought about this myself. Fishies swimming through the ribs of a broken hull...

Never seen one in a home aquarium though, I would imagine though would look best in a super, supersized aquarium.

4. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

5. dv8

dv8

if you going to use wood it may make your water go brown, i tried leaving bits of drift wood in my tank. did not look too good after a while

6. marine101

marine101

Indeed, reminds me of my discus days. But awesome concept. Perhaps the wood could be coated with something?

7. marine101

marine101

Or u could mould plastic to look like wood, like those fake corals, but will probably have to b special order

8. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Yip. thats the problem, and whoever is going to make it for you is going to ask an arm & a leg...probably a kidney as well

Yes dv8, I remember from bathtup days...the water turns yellow after a while

Thanx Neil...awesome ideas on there

Agreed Adee...scale is going to be the problem ...especially as I this type of idea in a Lionfish & Scorpionsfish tank

9. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

You could possibly use fake wood such as polywood. Otherwise fibreglass.

10. Yuri

Yuri

and wood take your ph down

11. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

Possibly also using old looking bottles and vases/pottery as well as artificial wood or fibreglass.

12. Annoying

Annoying

How about layers of polystyrene? Plan how your tank is gonna look, then you can either stick sheets of polystyrene on eachother with the shape of the boat already cut out or you can buy a big block of polystyrene and sculpt it out ( i like the first ida more because then you can cut out the middle of the ship so that the fish can swim in the ship) Then when the ship is finished you can burn it slightly with a blowtorch to give that "old" feeling that the boat has dents and broken pieces. Then you can take cement and cover it with it and the take cement with some acrylic colour and paint the cement and to make it look like coralline algae and other stuff. When your finished you can use that yellow foam spray to stick it to the aquarium (that stuff sticks like hell, no chance that the polystyrene is gonna float)... I heard they used this in Ushaka and I tried it in my tank and so far I haven't looked one day back...

13. Pads

Pads

Not a bad idea but scaling it down and making it look realistic will be a challange. One would still need to pay attention to detail. Would stainless steel or aluminium not be a possibility of materials. I'm not sure what the chances of them leaching metals into the water. It would make a ridgid material to cut out the ribs and outter hull sheets. How you get it to age is a tough one. Good luck Frans

14. Annoying

Annoying

It's actually kind of fun to make the sculpture because you can plan where you can hide pumps and stuff like that and when people come to your house and see a piece of rock in your aquarium and you tell them it's polystyrene and they don't belive you it's a bonus:lol:.

Recent Posts