Urgent help needed cream angel white spot

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Marine Addict 777, 8 Aug 2016.

1. Marine Addict 777

Marine Addict 777

Hi all. I have a cream angel for about 3 weeks, never had any issues until 3 days ago I've noticed 1 or 2 white spots on him. I feed brine shrimp soaked in garlic guard once a day and in the morning I have have an automatic feeder that feeds seaweed pellets. This morning I see this guy has got lots of white spot even though I've been dosing "heal all" for the last 3 days. I don't want to dose anything with copper as I have some corals and inverts. I also do not have a QT. Please advise what can help urgently. Tank size 517Lt ( 317dt & 200sump). Thank you in advance.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Do you have 2 plastic tubs? 40L is all you need.

2 * small 300L/h pumps
    2 * 100W heaters.

Then look into the bucket transfer method today.
    Total costs will be a lot less than what the angel costs you most likely.

But as your system would be infected, you need to do all your fish. And get a holding system.

4. Marine Addict 777

Marine Addict 777 Thread Starter

Hi Riaan, I'll look into the bucket transfer method today. Thank you, much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Aug 2016
  5. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish

Do that bucket transfer to all new fish, white spot is the least of your worries if Brooklynella or velvet comes into the display. If you do bucket now with cream, it will get white spot again when going into display, as the other fish will be carriers. Only way to totally eliminate it is to let tank go fishless for 2-3 months.

Else just do bucket until it mostly recovers (7 days normally enough for white spot on the fish itself to be gone) and do it again if white spot becomes worse again a few weeks later, eventually it will build up immunity to white spot if it is healthy and your water in display is good quality, the bucket method will provide low doses of white spot parasites if you use display water and should help it build up immunity without killing the fish. My fish have been living with white spot for years now, and a cream angel is mostly hardy.

You can also soak your food in Seachem Metroplex, it does kill white spot parasites on the fish, but it won't eliminate it from the tank.

Don't waste any money or time on 'reef safe' cures, there is no such thing.

Just on nutrition, try to feed something other than brine shrimp, it is really not very nutritious. The 'super shrimp' variety or even mysis is better as it contains more nutrients. For dry food,try Hikari Marine Pellets, have had good results with that and a lot softer than Ocean Nutrition.

6. Marine Addict 777

Hi Bud, thanks alot. The seaweed pellets that I feed are Hikari. I heard that raw garlic flakes are also very good. I haven't tried it coz I thought fish wouldn't eat raw garlic. What do you think about that.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

7. Marine Addict 777

What does seachem metroplex, comprise of? The reason I'm asking is because all the food additives that seem to kill white spot have garlic in it.

8. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish

Garlic can cause kidney damage in fish long term, so not good to feed too much.

9. Marine Addict 777

Oh my. Did not know that. Thanks hotdog83, quite a helpful chat. Will try the seachem metroplex.

10. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish

It contains metronidazole, the garlic in food additives are more for the fish's immune system, it does not kill white spot. Just don't overdo the garlic, it is not good for fish long term.

11. Marine Addict 777

Ok great. Not too much garlic. Thanks again.

Recent Posts