crayfish,abalone and oyster crisis

Discussion in 'Other Livestock' started by Charl_Stanhope, 23 Nov 2011.

1. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Hey guys

We recently received this crayfish,abalone and oyster tank from one of our suppliers. The problem is that it looked o.k for a month or 2 but is now looking terrible and is a sight for sore eyes. I originally wanted nothing to do with it but am now forced to intervene.

its around 2.2m in length, 600mm wide and 600mm deep but sloping to around 350mm.
    its designed to be shallower on the one end so the oyster will be easier to reach. One problem,we sell like 200+ oysters and loads of crayfish over a weekend so there are loads of hands in and out the tank.

Heres some posts of what this ugly thing looks like. It could be quite a fun challenge to get this thing looking like something. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

What the tank looks like. Those ugly fake corals came as an added bonus.:lol: That is a big artificial dead rock(doubt it has had any live on it when it was added). That sock is for the water coming out of the skimmer and I want to change it to catch the gunk that comes out of the overflow,and believe me crayfish are messy and I think oysters are even worst. We dont feed the tank at all.There is a big spunge that collects crap from the overflow(want to add a sock instead of the spunge). the return to the chiller is 2500 l/h.

[​IMG]

This is just to show how the tank slopes

[​IMG]

Spray bar(if you can call it that) returns water back to the tank. It causes alot of salt creep though.

[​IMG]

this is where we put our oyster.its normally full but they didnt look very appetising in a tank full of algae.

[​IMG]

pic of bottom of skimmer

[​IMG]

main sump chamber. Return pump is rated for 4800l.skimmer is rated for unknow litres as theres nothing written on skimmer.

[​IMG]

big black spunge collect nutrients,:whistling:
    [​IMG]

and dirty bio balls.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

ok,ive got a few more pics to come but this is the basic setup. What would you guys change,add. flow pumps,bigger return pump,po4,no3 removers,maybe even chaeto would be an idea. As the crayfish and oysters are mesyy creatures and poop alot its difficult to keep the tank clean,bio balls spotless and spunge cleaned everyday as this is tank cant be cleaned everyday as we dont have the time to do maintenance everyday. how would you guys change this to make it a easier to maintain ,nicer to look at setup? this tank is not my baby and we are paying an idiot(that claims to be a marine biologist and knows what he is doing) to come and clean it once a week but it stays clean for a day. we keep about a 100 oysters and 20 crayfish in there at a time,no perley yet as we waiting for our lisence.

please help as this thing is ugly and we really wanna use it

4. FransSny

FransSny

Actually saw it and told the manager its all wrong design....they were busy with maintenance on it while I was ranting and raving (sorry about that)...

What time you working on Saturday , I will pop past and give some pointers

5. Charl_Stanhope

Thanks Frans. Ive got a nice promo tab.:lol:Im there the untill 4 on saturday. I can think of a few things thats wrong on the setup as well but Im not sure if keeping crayfish etc is different to keeping a reef,fish only tank.

6. Electrician24

Electrician24

That skimmer looks way to small for that quantity of stock, but what the hell they will be eaten anyway.:drool5:

Last edited: 23 Nov 2011
  7. FransSny

FransSny

LOL , no worries about the tab ;), since I saw that system my fingers has been itching to give you some advice (was wondering why you werent involved). A few major flaws there but fixable , see you Saturday

8. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Tab, I might just drive to Hermanus to catch up with you all!
    Good luck, sure you can fix it! Need a bigger skimmer!

9. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Are we driving to hermanus for some kreef and talking reefing... RIGHT! what time on Sat?!

10. Charl_Stanhope

im also thinking bigger skimmer,but they dont get fed,they have almost no food in them(the gut(black string) is almost clear) they also dont stay in the tank for too long.

11. Charl_Stanhope

maybe we should organise a meet at the bar(next to the restaurant).Ill organise cheap drinks(a free keg of beer)snacks and the venue. It would be fun. But we have to maybe make a weekend out of it.:1: I can organise cheap accommodation as well. :thumbup:then we can all fix the tank.:lol:

12. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

As long as you get us staff discount on the kreef and oysters :D

I'll bring you some salt to test out mixing salt. I'm pretty sure I am ok for a place to crash - nê @FransSny :D

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. Electrician24

Electrician24

14. Charl_Stanhope

deal.:lol:so cheap kreef and oysters,beer and a venue:thumbup:

15. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

I'll bring salt and a few other goodies :D

16. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I assume the "other goodies" are pink drinks and hot bunny grams. :biggrin:

Last edited: 24 Nov 2011
  17. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Something like that :D

18. FransSny

FransSny

Sounds like we are gonna have a good time while figuring this out ...see you guys on Saturday

@Charl_Stanhope ....just let us know what time ! You dont need a bigger skimmer....tank design is just kak

See you guys Saturday

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  19. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Oh dear - there goes my liver :D

20. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

With the kreef, oysters and cheap drinks, i wonder how much figuring out will actually get done?

21. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Lotsssssssss :D

Recent Posts