Craig

Reaction score
Well I am finally posting something here. Hi Everybody
Now that my sons tank is got that Brown Algae growing like mad and waiting for it to die down (I have been told that this is natural) I feel like i can finally get involved here.

My Hx is simple. Bought a BOYO TL550 and after reading a "Chemistry book on Phosphates, Amoia, N3, N2 and a whole lot of other things that nearly made me sell the tank, I did the RO H2O & Salt thing, added some mature gravel and waited. A few weeks later 2KG's of Life Rock with 3 pesky small Mantis Shrimps. (Gotta get rid of those - Hoping the Brown Algae will kill them for me, yea right:), I cant stomach soking them dead with a stick)
Have added a black molly to test the waters. My 3 year old and wife have named him Akon:thumbup:. He will be getting company as soon as things calm down.

Well besides cleaning the fornt glass and feading Akon and waiting this is the only other thing I have done.
I get intimidated by these sights as eferyone seems to be spending big bucks on stuff and they know what they are talking about. I have heard slow is the best with Marine so lets hope its advice well taken.
Well thats it for now
:wave2:

Welcome Craig.

Don't be intimidated, yes some guys go all out and buy all the fancy gadgets and gizmo's but don't let that scare you, you can quite easily run a tank on just the bare minimum and the necessities. Ask on here before you go out and buy anything, the guys will let you know which is the best for cheapest, there are plenty of budget reefers here, myself included.

Have a look at our Featured Tank for August by lanzo, a stunning tank run on just the necessities and hasn't had thousands of rands thrown into it.

Over time you can upgrade and buy all the nice things, but not needed now.

p.s. Don't kill the mantis shrimps, people buy them and setup species specific tanks, if you can catch them then put them up for sale, pretty sure someone will buy them.

Hey man

Welcome.

Like Viper said. There are lots of successful tanks that setup with just the necessary. So dont be afraid ask questions, you will always find help here.

Im also a newbie and already with the help here things are starting to make more sense.

Good Luck

Welcome to Masa

Hi Craig, welcome to MASA,

Just a heads up, the gravel can cause nitrate problems later on, uneaten food and fish shit will get trapped, if you could swap it for a fine sand now (rather than later when you have stock etc) then it will pay dividends.

A very WARM WELCOME to MASA Craig! Please have a read through the threads of our other "New Members" In the "New Members" forum.... Many of your questions will be answered, and you will get MANY ideas....

Good luck with your journey! REMEMBER: keeping marines is a LIFESTYLE. It becomes part of you!

Welcome :)

Thanks

Thanks all I really appreciate the warm welcome. I will be responding to you individually over the weekend . Thank you:slayer:

Thanks for the info Viper. Is there any advice you could give me regarding catching the little creatures. They are faster than me and are only juat over 1/2 inch long from what I can tell. I aslo seem to have something that looks like a wood louce but it is grey?
I really appreciate your help

Hey Viper, thanks for the advice, I waited untill they were a little larger and cought them, now they have a lovly home.
Thanks for the advice.
Regards

Hey Viper, thanks for the advice, I waited untill they were a little larger and cought them, now they have a lovly home.
Thanks for the advice.
Regards

Hi Craig, welcome to Masa....!

Can I ask what you were referring to above w.r.t having caught something...I assume your pesky shrimps? ;)

Thank you Singularity. Keeyam and Mouce for the warm welcome
Much appreciated
and Yes Mouse those pesky Mantis Shrimps are now something of the past
thanks for asking

Dude, can't get hold of you on your cell. Need to chat about the rock and congrats on the bigger tank. I've got an old "okay" skimmer to get you started with. Just need a pump. Will help until you get a bigger one:thumbup:

Cheers
21 LOL

Back
Top Bottom