cracking sound

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Leon1975, 4 Mar 2012.

1. Leon1975

Leon1975

hi guys,can anybody please tell me what is that crakcing sound i hear in my tank at night,is it dangoruis for my tank can it do any harm to my fish or corals,can i catch it or what thax:)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Cracking or clicking?

It could be a pistol shrimp or a mantis shrimp. Depends how big it is, it could take out your fish.
    Have a look at the tank after lights out and see if you can find whats making the noise. You can also try the glass trick (some food in a glass leaning against the rocks)and see what comes out of hiding.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2012
  4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If that tank pic under your Image Uploader is yours, then good luck in finding the source of that clicking sound. Most likely will see you long before you see it and will go into hiding.

At night, ensure all the lights are out, and no light from the room either. Use a torch that is not too strong. And put one of those red wrapper papers like you get on chocolate over the lens. About 2 hours after lights out, approach the tank and see if you can spot the guilty party.

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Yip, more than likely a Pistol Shrimp, best to try and get it out and put it in your sump with a piece of live rock. You will be able to identify it by one of it's claws being considerably bigger than it's other one. Here's some info...

Last edited: 11 Apr 2016
  6. Leon1975

Leon1975 Thread Starter

howzit viper 357,leon hear thanks for the video just want to know does it mean every time i hear that cracking sound that the shrimp is out hunting for something to eat because one of my boxer shrimps is no were to be found thax:(

7. Mastazee

Mastazee

i wonder if it is possible to farm them and generate electricity from the pinch :idea:

8. rob189

rob189

i cant believe that...surely not:eek:

9. erratiC

erratiC

I have had a TL-550 for over a year now and every now and then I hear loud clicking coming from it... ever since the beginning... I haven't lost any fish either so I always assumed it was a hermit or maybe my wrasse playing around....but now since watching that freakin hectic shrimp vid I'm going to go hunting for what ever it might be.

10. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I honestly don't know if they make that noise only when hunting for food, I would guess so. It's quite possible it would have attacked and eaten one of your boxer shrimps through.

Recent Posts