Urgent help needed Cracked Base

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by abgg118, 25 Mar 2010.

1. abgg118

abgg118 MASA Contributor

Hi all,

Got an SMS that I should check the tank, it's leaking ... hmm ...

Got home and saw that it wasn't too urgent, but about 2-4 liters had already spread itself around the tank. Overflow was fine, return was fine, and it was dripping from the top of the stand just under tank - it could only mean a cracked base.

Now I don't know if you can get a thing as a "small crack in the base" (any crack is too huge), but it seems this is indeed a small one. It even stopped leaking when I had taken out about 75% of the water (reduced pressure) ...

Now, luckily this is a freshwater tank - 5ft, 7 malawi's and 2 plecs. Apologies for bringing the bathwater here, but please still hear me out ;)

Removed the water, rocks, fish, plants and placed everything (except about 250liters of water) in new containers - all in all a nice way to spend the evening. I removed about 50% of the gravel and used it in a spare 2foot tank for planting all the plants. By chance, in the corner out of which I took the last bit of gravel that I was going to need, and out of which I was siphoning, I saw the base glass and a small crack across the corner:

[​IMG]

It's about 6cm and 8cm from the corner. So, the question is: what can I do about this (and don't say change it into a marine tank) - would it be feasible to cut a thick corner piece of glass and silicone it into the corner? It would then be as high as the "braces" at the front and against the side (where there are no current braces).

Any advice from the experienced tank-builders will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Gideon

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Manic

Manic Moderator

If it was me i would just patch it with a piece of glass over it and lots of silicone. The crack has already spread as far it can. Or you can replace the base...

4. Moolis Moolman

Moolis Moolman Pet Stop SA Sponsor

Add a floating bottom and it will make the bottom even stronger for the future.

But

You MUST figure out why it happened and fix the cause, otherwise it might happen again :(

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

6. Manic

Manic Moderator

How is the stand on this tank. Is it only supported on the edges or does the stand have cross braces to support the middle of the tank...

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

8. abgg118

abgg118 Thread Starter MASA Contributor

It's a wooden cabinet with support all around the edges and cross-support in the middle. A wooden "surface" on top, then a polystyrene layer and then the tank. Built by Exotic about 5 or 6 years ago. It has been standing in it's current location with current rocks and substrate for 16 months. It's also pretty level. I have no idea why it would suddenly crack.

At the moment is seems a 10mm "corner-piece" should do the trick.

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Chances are that a small unnoticed leak occurred some months back. Or water over the years trickled down to the cabinet. This caused the base to swell applying pressure to the corner that cracked. Check out before repairing. Your tank may require a reseal.

10. Phuture Lab - Zayn

Phuture Lab - Zayn

Hi - agree with the guys . u can patch but always prefer to replace .

11. nakoma

nakoma

my 1,8m x 600 x 600 tank burts at the bottom maybe 10 years ago i used 5 mm perspeks and 3 large tubes of selicone and patched it and it is still running and i think it is stronger and i have moved the tank and refilled it if you do the patching carefull and with something flexibill it should last a lifetime but replacement is better

12. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

i agree with the others. A Patch with some glass and seal with silicone. But you gotta find out why it cracked!

13. abgg118

There was never any leaking moisture "visible", but I'll inspect the wood thoroughly before attempting anything. Thanks all.

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You do not say how deep the tank is.

Anyway, flip tank over first, and look very closely into the crack, make sure that there are no small sand particles caught in the crack. Use a thin blade or needle to remove it. When no more sand, the crack will almost seal itself. You remarked that it stopped leaking when tank was half. So I doubt that there will be a lot of stuff stuck in the crack, or that the tank is 600mm deep or more.

then flip tank back up. And use silicone to just smear it over the crack. If tank deepere than 400, then put another glass piece over it. The substrate will hide it anyway.

I got 2 standard 90L tanks with cracked bases. Both running OK. One small crack, also across corner like yours, but a lot closer to the corner. And the other tank is a big arch about 45 cm crack. And that is just smeared over with silicone. These are my frag and QT tanks.

15. JD167

JD167

Get a new stand. Chances are that it was weakend by water or moisture over time. Now that water spilled over it because of the crack, it's useless. Have a propper one made out of metal.

16. abgg118

Well, I got an 18cm x 18cm piece of 10mm glass and patched it up. I smeared the entire pane with silcone and ensured that the open sides and those agaist the tank sides are filled/sealed with silcone. The stand looks fine - I can't see any deformation on "enevenness", so I'll go with this. Thanks all.

Recent Posts