CR-3000 Carx unit - HELP!

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Adee, 9 Feb 2011.

1. Adee

Adee

Hello, anyone uses this type of reactor?

Need help fine tuning the the device. Can't seem to get the effluent saturated enough to raise Alk levels.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

Sell it and buy my deltec carx..>Problem sorted:thumbup:

Last edited: 9 Feb 2011
  4. Suhayl

Suhayl

Check the Deltek wesite, there is good information written on setting up a calcium reacter and tuning it.

5. Adee

Adee Thread Starter

thanks guys...but really need someone who has one to comment.

been through the Deltec (and others) for info.

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

adee post a pic or give us some more info on the unit lets see what we can offer to assist.

7. Adee

Adee Thread Starter

Thanks Les, unfortunately and typical with Reef Octo products all you get is a one page diagram and that it....perhaps I can elaborate more.

I installed one of these units about a week ago, was wondering how the flow should go through the unit for optimum use. I have 10kg of Brightwell CoralLazuras Ca media (coarse?) and 1.5kg of their Mg media. I can't seem to get the effluent high enough in terms of saturation to raise the Alk levels.

My PH is set to 6.3 and drip rate it quite fast (I dialed it back to slow as well), bubble count is about 1 bubble a second (even raised it to 3). My daily Ca usage is around 20ppm in a 2500L system. I loose about 1.8dKH daily as well.

No here is the weird part, hence me wanting to check with someone who has exactly one like this.
    A few days ago I opened the reactor to add some more Mg media, when I closed it and started it up again, the creator chamber (at the bottom) was filled with micro bubbles, almost looking like a skimmer would. One could also visually see the fine bubbles going through the media. It stayed like that for a few days until I opened up the cylinder again to add more Ca media. When I started it up again, no more micro bubbles and everything was the same as when I first used it, it ran clear again. Is it supposed to have that skimmer look at the bottom or not?

Also the actual drip color of the effluent...it is clear, should it not be a milky color?

Some pointers please.

8. Adee

Adee Thread Starter

looks like this:
    [​IMG]

9. Junz

Junz

normally you would increase the Co2 and lower the drip rate to get the material to dissolve faster

10. Adee

Adee Thread Starter

at the controller would control the amount of C02, would I also have to drop the PH value?

11. IMarine

IMarine

Hey Adee i dont now reef octo range as i only install the grotech and with this i run my cal reactors on my clients tanks 24/7 with out the ph probe,yes there will be a ph drop,but with grotech none at all,i open my co2 to 4 bubbles per second and drop out 5 drops of pure water out of the reactor,the difference between grotech and all other cal reactors is, they half the size of aquamedic and comes with a ehim pump 1250,that is extremely powerfull and they also got a re gazing chamber,so lets say your ph comes out at 6,4 then it goes through more media that lifts the ph to 8,0-8,4,and fine a kh of 8-10 and cal of 400 and mag up to 1400 but that is using grotech media of arm media, as i supply the grotech,fauna marin,ati,for cpt and durban i must now my products,PLS PLS PLS mods i am not advertising what i sell just giving info

12. Adee

Adee Thread Starter

thanks....but I'm stuck with what I have, I could possibly do an added mod to sort out the low PH effluent similar to those reactors that have a regassing chamber.

anyways i have learnt more info and need to do some more adjustments when I get home, will then monitor and again for the next few days.

13. IMarine

IMarine

What you can do is run your cal reactor with out ph meter ,then start slowly and test every day,buff your ph every second day with seachem reefbuffer but pls slowly,there is going to be a lot of negativity with what I am saying by not using a ph meter ,but as soon as you get the right balance y can go back to your ph meter

14. Adee

Adee Thread Starter

Well made some changes and now and can safely say I got my effluent reading for Alk up to spec. So what I've done is to bump up the bubble rate a tad and open the flow nozzle a bit so Ive got just about a steady continuous trickle of water coming through. Also brought down the ph so that is now hovers between 6.05 - 6.10.
    So even with the higher flow rate I am still able to measure 40dKH at the effluent end.

15. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

You should try the finer hydrocarbonate from AM or Deltec. Works well. Their was another reefer that was complaining similarly about the course media. Not sure if it Brightwell, but, watch out for over agitating the media, it will grind into small particles and get into the circulating pump forming a grinding past.

16. Adee

Adee Thread Starter

Thanks Keith. I can't visually see any movement of the media itself, but will keep an eye out.

17. Adee

Adee Thread Starter

Well I came back from work yesterday and my reactor looked like this. The day before I had switched some tubing around I had inserted things wrong way round...according to the set-up diagram.

Anyways the effluent is making the display water milky. Ive checked the reading and its sitting at around 74dKH. I've dropped the PH setting to 6.3 and also lessened the number of bubbles.

Still...anyone out there who is using one of these?

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Feb 2011
  18. Suhayl

Suhayl

Adee the guy I know that has experiance with this is Adriaan from Idol Marine. Give his a call Im sure he will be willing to help. Calcium reacters are tricky that why many people prefer the dosing method.

19. DeanT

DeanT Dean

@Adee
    I know this thread is old but I wanted to know if you managed to sort out your cars reactor
    I have just purchased one set it up and managed to get it running , but felt the same as you , with a wonderful diagram and nothing else

I used this article to try and assist e
    Me with the setup
    A Guide to Using Calcium Reactors by Simon Huntington - Reefkeeping.com
    I managed to get it quite right , but as there isn't much info, thought I would ask
    I have a ph probe in the top of the reactor connected to a profilux controller , and oh set to 8

Amy advice is greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  20. red pepper

red pepper

HI DeanT,

I am no expert having only been in the game for 10 months. I run the reactor with Zeolite and Magnesium, so as a Calcium and Magnesium reactor. Basically 1/3 Magnesium and 2/3 Calcium. Obviously connected to a CO2 bottle.

I measure Magnesium and calcium weekly and control the PH setting accordingly. Normally once a fortnight I have to buffer my KH in my display tank up using Seachem Reef Buffer (Raises PH to 8.3). I do not use it to raise PH, but rather KH.

The PH in my tank is buffered by my top up system using a Kalkstirrer. Over time the dosage happens naturally, just control the flow.

When I started with the reactor I dripped the return flow, but now I ensure that there is a constant slow feed.

My settings in the reactor are currently set at PH 6.85, with Nocturnal box ticked on the profilux between 9pm and 8am. The PH in raector is adjusted at small increments either way depending on my Calcium/Magnesium and KH readings.

Current readings tonight
    Calcium 440
    Magnesium 1425
    KH 8.3 (will buffer up tonight to 9.3)

I hope this helps

21. red pepper

red pepper

Recent Posts