cptmayhem's tank

Discussion in 'uncategorised' started by cptmayhem, 25 Sep 2009.

1. cptmayhem

cptmayhem

Well, the first pics are here. Sorry for the quality - the other half has commandeered the SLR for the evening, so I'm relegated to the poxy little camera on my phone...

Here's the tank when lit...

[​IMG]

The Wet/dry filter, courtesy of Eheim

[​IMG]

With the lid off - power head in the top left (left rear side of tank), Hang-on Red Sea protien skimmer in the middle, wet/dry piping next to it, with the pick-up pipe coming down the centre, and my jimmied outlet pipe, snaking around to the RHS of the tank in order to give a R to L flow of water, as opposed to the L to R of the power head.

[​IMG]

Light-shot...

[​IMG]

More shots to come when live rock has been put in, and then at each stage of the Algae growth cycles.

If anyone has any pointers at this stage, let them come!

I'm keeping the lights off for the first 4 or so days (as per the reference material I've looked at) and then am going to switch them on at gradually increasing intervals, until they're running for the full 8 to 10 hours a day...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. cptmayhem

cptmayhem Thread Starter

Just need to fill her up properly though - didn't factor in the consumption of the filter and skimmer - plus I only had 110 litres to fill it up initially... one more trip to Muizenberg for me.

4. cptmayhem

cptmayhem Thread Starter

Well, I said I was going to get some LR, and I did that this very morning. Didn't get too much, owing to budgetary constraints, but it comes out at 2.8kg of Kenyan. Some quite good looking pieces, with plenty of nooks and crannies for things to latch into and hide in when I add the fish...

Here are some pics of the tank, while lit, with the rock in and individual pieces of LR...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my favourite piece...

[​IMG]

Also building a framework for the rock to sit on, creating a bit more surface area for life to grab a hold of.

5. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Nice looking tank you have there.

If budgetry constraints are a problem maybe look at some decent quality porous sandstone from the beach for the foundations of your aquascaping...I know its fround apon, but I have used this as the base for my tanks with no problems and with good quality live rock to seed it it should be fine. Alternatively if you do have a little to spend there is always Biorock :)

By the way what are you running in the wet and dry filter?

6. cptmayhem

cptmayhem Thread Starter

I don't actually know, to be brutally honest.

It's got those 10mm Ceramic things in there, as well as some other type of stone... don't know the name of it, but I can check it out. It's an Eheim filter, so I gather it's some of the Eheim filter medium...

7. IMarine

IMarine

paramaters

Hi bra you need to leave your lights off through the complete cycle of 4 weeks and pls add some prime from seachem and stabality from seachem,add prime 2 caps every week for 4 weeks and stabality every 3rd day for 2 weeks and do a water change of 25 lts every week for 4 weeks, your paramaters should be kh 10-12,salanity 1024-1026,cal 400, ph 8,2-8,4 and if you can get all seachem products, for your kh use reefbuilder,for ph reef buffer,and for cal reefadvantage calcuim,its by far the best products to use,take your time and do it right to have a excellent setup

8. cptmayhem

cptmayhem Thread Starter

what do those products do to the water that won't be done by the skimming and filtering?

9. cptmayhem

cptmayhem Thread Starter

Got the Stability & Prime now - added the required amount of caps, and switched the lights off...

Thanks for the heads up - would've been wondering where all the sludge came from, and been none the wiser!

10. IMarine

IMarine

prime helps brake down ammonia,nitrates,nitrites etc and stabality helps build up strains off bacteria to help fight off ammonia,nitrites and nitrates,you see every time you add corals and fish you need to feed bacteria as corals and fish gives off a fair amount of ammonia as they **** all the time,your skimmer will help by skimming out bad elements

11. cptmayhem

cptmayhem Thread Starter

The skimmer I'm running is rated quite highly for the tank, but it's not producing any of the scum that I've seen on other systems...

Add to that the fact that my PH has been sitting at 8.5 for a day and a half (close to 2) for now, and I think I'm starting to see a bit of Algal growth.

My main concern though is that the power head i have (1200lph) is quite noisy - only when attached to the walls of the tank though. I know this is the vibrations of the motor being transferred through the path of least resistance into the wall (in order to dissipate the vibrational effect) but it is really quite loud (think hair trimmers when the trim is perfect - that sort of buzz)

Would one of those impeller type power heads (the SunSun ones) be any quieter? The noise is a big factor in me keeping the tank, as I assured the other half that the running noise would in fact be negligible.

12. IMarine

IMarine

the shaft of the power head might not be fitted correct,check to see that the shaft is inserted correct and the sun sun pumps are very quite

13. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

those pieces of rocks look terribly familiar were in cape town you situated

14. cptmayhem

cptmayhem Thread Starter

In Wynberg... got them from Sam's Aquaria yesterday morning...

15. cptmayhem

cptmayhem Thread Starter

already checked the shaft, and re-inserted it making sure that the rubber end-caps were secured well. Still made a noise.

I can live with it, it's just that I'd like it to be a bit quieter and those SunSun ones seem very quiet. Just going to be quite expensive to get the same flow rating as the power head, and at the moment my priorities are more towards getting the tank up and running...

16. IMarine

IMarine

Hi bra i can check what pumps i have that you can use in the mean time i have pm you give me a call

17. cptmayhem

cptmayhem Thread Starter

Thanks mate... I'm still investigating the cost of things, but will def give you a shout if I need a bit of help/advice etc..

Shot for the offer!

18. cptmayhem

cptmayhem Thread Starter

Just gone and bought myself the SunSun 3000lph Vibration pump...

1st thing I noticed - no noise.

2nd thing - damn! what a flow the little thing creates! And for less than one of our little blue friends, I've got a much more efficient pump, getting water to flow where it only dreamed of flowing a day ago.

Just want to get the fish in though! but still another 3 to 4 weeks to go...

19. Annoying

Annoying

Good to here that the new pump works, and about the fish (I know how you feel:banghead:) but just remember that only bad things happen fast in marines!!!

20. cptmayhem

cptmayhem Thread Starter

lol... yeah. Really sucks. But I'm keeping a very close watch on my rocks, just waiting for the little algae to show themselves. I carry on convincing myself that they're there. But then look a couple of hours later and *poof* they're gone...

21. marinenoob

marinenoob

Hi,

How much did you pay for the rock because it looks like fiji blue rock which is very expensive but very nice?

regards,

Recent Posts