Cowry and peppermint shirmps - dangerous to corals???

Reaction score
Hi,

Just need some advice please. We have had our peppermint shrimps from the start, behaved well. Added zoas and ricordeas (sp?), all fine. Now added a brain coral, and fox coral, and saw one shrimp picking at the brain. Read in Corals by Borneman Cowries and certain shrimps can be bad with corals.

Any opinions??

Thx

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Never heard of peps eating brain coral - but my pep ate all my yellow star polips :(

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Are you sure they are true peppermint shrimps and not camelback shrimps? They look almost identical. The camelback is known to feed on corals occasionally.

How long has the brain been in the tank? Is it healthy?

Reaction score
Fairly sure they are true peppermints. See them quite regulary. Had a good look at them when we got them, and they looked nothing like the pictures of the camelbacks. Coral looks very healthy. Only got him today. Looks to me like he was picking at the 'slimy' stuff it gave off when we put it in the tank.

Any ideas on the cowry snails???

Herkie - I don't understand?

Reaction score
I would not place cowries in a reef tank. Mine bit all my soft corals. He is now banished to the sump.

Reaction score
AFAIK Money cowries are considered reef safe, but all the ones I bought from LFS shops seem to like soft coral.

Reaction score
PeppermintShrimp.jpg

PeppermintShrimp2.jpg

Peppermint Shrimp or Camelback?
(Sorry - he is so fast!)

Reaction score
Looks like peppermint. Cambelback looks way different. On a peppermint the lines are red and blends in with the body's colour. On the camelback the lines are highly contrasting with the body - red on white:

Reaction score
I think viper was referring to Lysmata californica and Lysmata wurdemanni - both called Peppermint Shrimp. californica is a cool water species and slowly dies in our reef tanks. They tend to eat polyps. wurdemanni also has a tendency to eat polyps, but this is the one most often employed to eat aiptasia.

Camelback shrimps are from the genus Rhynchocinetes, and definitely eat coral and polyps - much more so than the peppermint.