covering chiller from rain

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by dropzone newbee, 1 Feb 2011.

1. dropzone newbee

dropzone newbee

hey all
    i have just installed a chiller , but because of space issues it is running outside !
    now , i have a rain problem
    any ideas how i can cover the chiller , bearing in mind it has to breathe from front and back

thank s

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Monde

Monde

Trying very hard to not to say "it never rains but it pours" :p

I would have thought that a plastic dog kennle could help if the opening is away from the prevailing rain direction.

But I will tag along and listen to the pro's.

4. JD167

JD167

Build a box. My chiller also stands outside. This is the one I built.

A plastic dog kennel can also do the job. Just drill large holes in the sides, and make sure air can pass through freely. As long as there is enough airflow and the top is water proof, you should be fine.

5. dropzone newbee

dropzone newbee Thread Starter

thanks guys
    eish !! in a little poo now as larrrge storm brewing
    do you think the non reefer would mind lying on top of it :lol::lol::lol::lol:

6. JD167

JD167

:peroni: :peroni: says she knocks your a$$ out on top of your chiller. ;)

7. Andreas

Andreas

I would build a wooden enclosure and have most of the front and back open as the majority of the airflow will move through these areas. Is the chiller on the floor or have you mounted it against the wall?

8. SIMS

SIMS

mount on the wall like the aircon buys with a perspex roof and front - leave the sides open

9. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

I would advise everybody to have an extra computer fan behind his chiller if possible. I have a Haleia HC500 chiller cooling much less water than what its specs say it can handle. It has been doing very well untill 2-3 weeks ago when we had a typical Zululand heat wave. I was doing some work on the laptop outside the house in the shade when I realized the chiller has been running non stop for quite some time. I then monitored the LED display and the temperature stayed the same with a lot of hot air in the chiller vicinity. I then turned the chiller around so that it was discharging the hot air into the room instead of the wall that was more than 300 mm away from the chiller. The water temp dropped from 28,5 to 24 degrees in 50 minutes after the change.The chiller is still standing with its backside away from the wall and never had a problem again. With this change I also notice my chiller switches off much quicker now.

I do realize most members do not have the heat issues of Zululand, but on the other hand this computer fan uses very little power and it takes a huge amount of strain off your chiller compressor. Plus you are saving electricity.

10. dropzone newbee

its standing on the ground !
    think that wooden box with slats looks like a plan
    now for some wood working skills which i have little of :blush:

11. Andreas

Andreas

You make a very valid point Herkie especially if you plan on putting the chiller inside an enclosure. Another solution could be to mount the chiller sideways so that the front section of the chiller can suck in clean air a well as expel the hot air though the back far away from the unit itself.

12. Andreas

Andreas

Go to Mica/Builder Warehouse/Build It/Timber City and give them the measurements and they will cut the wood for you perfectly. You then just have to assemble it which won't take that long. A nice coat of enamel over the woodwork should do the trick;)

Last edited: 2 Feb 2011
  13. dropzone newbee

thanks boss
    is there a frame of sorts on this box ?

14. JD167

JD167

It's easy enough to weld a frame or have someone weld one for you. Paint it with hammerite and screw the wood to it. Make sure the roof is water tight.

Recent Posts