Coupla start up questions

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Linxie, 7 Dec 2009.

1. Linxie

Linxie

Just have a few questions for you all so long.
    We're not going to start our marine tank right away as we've no experience in the field, so I'll be popping in regularly to check out the tips you have here... but for now, let's start off with a few simple questions.

(I do apologise, I didn't use the search function, I'll make sure to use it from tomorrow... my time is just very limited today and I'm feeling talkative)

Where do you guys buy your livestock and equipment from? Is there a local dealer around here somewhere (wow that sounds dodge) do you go to the pet store? (can't imagine so as they only really sell freshwater stuff)

How long does it take from start up to having fish in my tank?

Can one take fish from the sea (if you have a permit) and put them in your tank?

One more Q... are any of the fish territorial? If so, which ones?

That's all for now. *speeds off to read some info threads* :bigthumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Linxie - first off - I would suggest to try our sponsors. We have 4 sponsors around Cape Town.
    1) Sam's Aquarium in Bergvliet
    2) NAAC in Somerset West
    3) Pet's Aquaria in Somerset West
    4) Aquality

There are other pet shops too, that sells some marine stock, and hardware, I will send you a private message with this info.

To answer your question on the fish collecting:
    YES, if you have a permit you can - BUT, Cape Town waters house only cold water species. They do not survive in tropical marine tanks (warm water).
    You can of course look at doing a cold water tank..... (then you can collect your own specimens from the Cape Town rock-pools).
    Alternatively - you will have to plan a trip every so often, to KZN ;)

A LOT of fish are territorial. Marine fish are more territorial than others - the most common "problematic" fish are (not limited to):
    - tangs
    - damsels
    - clown-fish (nemo's)
    - surgeons

There are many others - best would be to come and ask as and how you come across fish you like.....

4. Annoying

Annoying

Like jacques said you can start a coldwater tank if you want to take local livestock, but coldwater tanks aren't nearly as attractive as the tropical marine reefs. Many of the marine fish are territitorial but with many of the species this could be avoided by adding all of the same species at the same time. The bigger the tank the better it would help with the territorial fish.

5. maj

maj

jacque,
    u say clown fish and tangs are problematic if held together?iv seen so many setups with both of these species in a tank.is it isololated occurences or is it gauranteed they will fite if in same enviro?

6. Annoying

Annoying

No I think he is revering to that the species are aggresive to their own kind or very territorial.

7. maj

maj

oh ok,now iunderstand...sorry

8. Alfie

Alfie

While the fish mentioned are territorial, if they are introduced into the system at the same time and about the same size they can live in harmony.

9. Bossi

Bossi

"but coldwater tanks aren't nearly as attractive as the tropical marine reefs."

I would beg to differ after the things I have seen while diving, but I will have to prove you guys wrong first before you will believe me. I have seen really attractive, colorful and many different types of coral(softies mainly I think) over the years here in falsebay. But as I say i dont know enough yet and will research the topic a little more, because I'm also on the cold mission at the moment.

One thing i do know, is that the fish don't even get close to the tropical marine fish!:012:

10. Linxie

Linxie Thread Starter

WOW thank you SO much for your responses! What an AWESOME community this is.

Regarding the cold water in CPT... what about the water along the east coast? Isn't this part of the Indian ocean? Or is it still too cold for a tropical tank?

Think I'll be visiting some of these shops this weekend for sure! Oh my, I can't believe how excited I am to get my very first Marine tank sorted.

Great to hear that regarding the territorial fish... I'll definitely chat to you guys 'n gals before I decide to buy any though.

Hmmm just thinking now... I have a friend who dives in KZN very often. I'm just wondering whether the fish would survive the trip? I don't want to traumatise them or anything.

11. Annoying

Annoying

The upperside of the eastern coast you can get fish that likes warm water. If you want to take fish from KZN to the cape you'll have to take a coolerbox and fill with water and then transport the fish. Use a fish antistress formula (get it at pet shop) and maybe an oxygen tablet or two (depends on how long the trip back and the amount of fish)

12. Linxie

Linxie Thread Starter

Thanks Annoying that helps alot ^_^
    Been reading through the wiki this morning... so have a fairly good idea of what's needed now. Now I need to start window shopping :D

13. Linxie

Linxie Thread Starter

Got another question... know that the answer won't be a simple one.
    I just want to get a rough idea on what my start up costs will be (think bare basics, just the equipment)
    I'm checking the prices on the sites and all, but I don't know if I'm looking at the right equipment. I mainly want to see how much I need to save before I can go on a shopping spree.

I'm looking to start a medium sized tank. Not sure of the actual size yet as I need to measure the kitchen counter still.

14. jacquesb

Hi Maj - no - not aggresive towards each other. Aggressive towards individuals of the same species......
    And in the case of tangs / surgeon fish - aggressive to any individuals which look like them (same shape) and which also eats "sea veggies" (macro algae).....

15. jacquesb

Hi Linxie - this is indeed a "difficult one"....

My best suggestion would be - start off with a tank, plumbing/piping, a sump and some pumps....

Connect everything, and then do a freshwater test....
    THEN save up some more money, and get some substrate (sand), and live rock, for both the tank as well as the sump....

Then get either Natural Sea Water (NSW) or buy synthetic salt, mix this up with RO filtered freshwater - and start cycling your tank.

Your tank can cycle in the dark. And since it is best to cycle for at least 6 to 8 weeks - this will give you some time to save up for a decent lighting unit (you and your other half can of course try DIY'ing a lighting hood).....

NEXT, even before you look at lifestock, you must start looking to get a really decent skimmer - from the start.... else you WILL end up upgrading your skimmer in any case.

A tank, sump, plumbing/piping and pumps, could cost you anything between +-R1500 and R3000.... (NEW)....

If you want to look around MASA, you might just get some special deals where someone is selling their setups - and you might get away for a lot less....

Good luck... I hope that I answered SOME of the question at least.

16. maj

maj

thnks jacque!

p.s.when u goin to alfie,for any reason if u dont take that black n white clown,let me know;)

17. jacquesb

LOL Maj - I sure will do.... let's see what Alfie says ;)

BTW: Cold water tanks are absolutely just as colorful - but, for some reason (most likely because of the fish colorations that is MOSTLY drab), people only want to do warm water tropical tanks.....

18. Linxie

Linxie Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Jacques. It definitely helps a bit.

Recent Posts