Could this be the beginning of a nightmare with Aiptasia?

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Uysster, 11 Aug 2014.

1. Uysster

Uysster

Hi if possible, since the samples are very small, please tell me this is not aiptasia?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Uysster

Uysster Thread Starter

Nevermind... I'm no expert, but I read a lot and I've found a bigger cousin that really looks like Aiptasia. I dont know if I should start crying or what.
    I'm a newbie reefer just over a week old, so is my tank and within less than 12 hours caulerpa, invested with Aiptasia that I got from someone has now infested my tank.

Should I scream, pannic or just let it be?

And just earlier this evening I was reading up on how to deal with these pests. It's like my sixth sense picked up something.

4. Uysster

Uysster Thread Starter

[​IMG]

5. SilverWolf

SilverWolf

Aiptasia-x them to kingdom come!

6. Chris Makings

Chris Makings

You not the only reefer that has been battling with it, there is a number of ways in combating these pests, but do it now while your tank is still cycling as I left it and now I have a big problem on my hands,

7. Uysster

Uysster Thread Starter

It's so sad... the lfs do not even have salt in stock. What's to say about funny things like aiptasia-x...

Last edited: 12 Aug 2014
  8. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Rather try and sort it out now before it becomes a problem. @SilverWolf 's suggestion of aiptasia x is great. Just make sure you cover the mouth of it to prevent it from releasing spores into the water. You can also use kalk paste and feed it to the anemone.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. Uysster

Uysster Thread Starter

I'll have to look into diy something with hot water and injection or so and then sucking up the dead one. Or the type with lemon juice.

Like I mentioned, the local shops does not even have stock of salt... so them stocking meds etc. will be impossible - I know them all too well.

10. Chris Makings

Chris Makings

You could also try plain white vinegar, but not more than 1 ml per 100lt a day, ( I could be mistaken on that) @RiaanP could help, maybe also once your tank has cycled you can put a couple of peppermint shrimp in. mine tackle the smaller ones but leaves the big once, that's why I use vinegar on the big ones

11. Uysster

Uysster Thread Starter

I've read up alot on this Aiptasia dilemma. The natural way which is what I would have preferred by peppermint shrimps / copperband butterfly is not possible at all for me. Firstly my tank is too new and secondly no one has something like this in stock.

12. Uysster

Uysster Thread Starter

I have read about white vinegar. I removed the caulerpa last night at 12:00 because I know that is the source.

So yes... how many staued behind now...

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yip
    use insulin injection and inject them very slowly, giving the vinegar change to dissolve the aiptasia.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2014
    Uysster likes this.
  14. Chris Makings

Chris Makings

Most of the natural ways are hit and miss, Like I said is once your tank has cycled maybe try the natural way, but for now use vinegar as this will help so long, just don't leave it. I would not recommend a cbb as they need a mature tank as they fussy eaters,

Uysster likes this.
  15. Uysster

Uysster Thread Starter

RiaanP, thanks!
    With regard to the "insulin injection" are your referring here to the syringe and needle only?
    Do I inject white vinegar? In what quantities?

I removed all of the source - caulerpa that is infested with this aiptasia. Currently I can only see one Aiptasia in my sump...

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Aug 2014
  16. Uysster

Uysster Thread Starter

I agree, it's way too early for any form of fish / inverts.

I guess I'll have to go and train on the one I can see currently tonight with white vinegar.
    First make a turn at the pharmacy today for a properly sized needle and syringe.

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yes.
    they are available in 1ml sizes. Perfect for us and in our war against aiptasia. Just stick it into the aiptasia, and around the foot area, slowly inject it. It will turn whitish grey. Best is to have the flow turned off ans not to sweep the vinegar away.

Just normal white vinegar. 1ml per 100L total tank volume per day. Remember that vinegar is also another form of sugar dosing, just like vodka. So do not overdo it. If you really want to go on a killing spreee, then remove the rock and place it in a bucket with old tank water from a water change. Let it stand a while and the aiptasia will extend all the way in the still standing water. Makes it easier to target them. when done, rinse the rock in another bucket with old water and place the rock back into display. Discard the water in the buckets (obvious action :blush:).

18. Uysster

Uysster Thread Starter

Alrighty then...
    Dosed the little ..... at lunch time with 0.5ml white vinegar mixed with 0.5ml pure lemon juice in an insulin syringe.

First sprayed a little over it until I saw tentacles moving then I went in the whole way injecting another lot and then removing the needle and injecting the remaining over it. Has not opened again up to now and it looks pretty wasted...!

Will keep a very close eye on it.

19. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

A safer product in my opinion to use rather then a carbon source which could kick off a wild bloom in a cycling tank would be Peroxide.

Change vinegar suggestion to Peroxide from any pharmacy 10 vol, 20 vol, 40 vol, it doesn't really matter and follow RiaanP instructions and inject them. The way (procedure) you described how you did it with the vinegar and lemon juice is what I did when I injected mine

The peroxide will just release O2 into the tank.

20. xtreme

xtreme

Soldering iron or gas flame, used all the other methods and didn't work for me.

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

thats a bit extreme @xtreme
    :lol:

Recent Posts