Cost of Running a Chiller

Riekert Botha

Bristleworm
Reaction score
Does anybody know how much it would cost to run a chiller (for example for a 1000L tank) for one month?

Nella

Damsel
Reaction score
To many variables to give an accurate answer.
Depends on room temp, how many times a day the chiller will start up ..How long it wil run etc etc
But they really aren't very exspensive to run. Much cheaper than an aircon for example
But an ac are so much nicer :cool:

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
In your case it would be considerably more than normal as you are intending on keeping a cold water tank, so I'm assuming the chiller would be on almost 24/7?

Riekert Botha

Bristleworm
Reaction score
I'm assuming the chiller would be on almost 24/7?
The water needs to be between 14-16 degrees so I'm guessing at least 50% of the day (in winter maybe less).

Nella

Damsel
Reaction score
Ok Viper is correct. ..
I forgot it's a cold water system.
Keeping you're water at that temp is going to be challenging
The further down from ambient temp you have to go the bigger you're chiller needs to be.
Chillers are all rated at the system volume it can handle but you will need to know how far below ambient temp it can bring a certain volume of water.
My chiller for example are rated up to 1000L and you can set it down to 3°c...but it will never reach that temp. I doubt it if it would be able to bring my 800L system down to 16°c.
Maybe install the aquarium in a room where you can install a inverter ac .
That way you can keep the room down to let's say 20°c and then the chiller only needs to drop the tank a further 4-5 degrees.
Also seriously consider if possible to move the chiller away from your tank because they really do generate a lot of heat.
Just my 2cents

Riekert Botha

Bristleworm
Reaction score
The further down from ambient temp you have to go the bigger you're chiller needs to be.
So I need a chiller for 2000L or two 1000L's

Riekert Botha

Bristleworm
Reaction score
What brand and model are you looking at?
Nella, please help me with that. I don't want the Mercedes-kind, but a good reliable Toyota-kind will do!

Riekert Botha

Bristleworm
Reaction score
but running your tank at that temp will create alot of condensation on the glass.
It probably depends on the ambient room temp? But lets say it does occur - any advice?

459b

Reaction score
Any habitable ambient temp wil cause condensation. Cold water tanks are usually made of thick acrylic because it's a better insulator than glass

Riekert Botha

Bristleworm
Reaction score
Any habitable ambient temp wil cause condensation.
Goodness... And now..... Im sure there is something one can apply like a glass cleaner or such that could help prevent it?

Aurora

Shrimp
Reaction score
You must be careful using glass cleaner near your tank.

I once accidentally sprayed some in the tank and had major issues!!

Nella

Damsel
Reaction score
Nella, please help me with that. I don't want the Mercedes-kind, but a good reliable Toyota-kind will do!
I would suggest to make a post in the sponsers request section with all the details......certain you will get the right answers there.
But I will do some homework as well